Let's Get To Work!

A look at Kean's array of student employment offerings

Campus News > Let's Get To Work!
Let's Get To Work!

The Center for Leadership and Service (CLS) is one of the many offices at Kean where students can seek employment.

Zoe Strozewski, Staff Writer

While Kean first and foremost provides students with the opportunity to earn a comprehensive and affordable education, students also have the ability to supplement their student experience by working on campus. This university is home to a diverse selection of student employment availabilities for a variety of interest areas.

One office that frequently hires students is the Center for Leadership and Service (CLS), located in the Miron Student Center (MSC). The CLS has a mission of aiding students in the formation of strong leadership skills, engaging them in community service and connecting them to the opportunities around campus. Students can apply for positions at any CLS department, which include the Cougar’s Byte newsletter, the Leadership Institute, the Involvement Center, Greek Senate, Jumpstart and Community and Volunteer Services, by visiting the CLS page on Cougar Link and filling out the application for employment located under the “Forms” heading.

Apart from the CLS, the MSC is also home to the Little Theatre, the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct, Student Government, a game room and multiple eateries. Students can be hired to work various positions throughout the building, and can apply to do so by visiting the MSC page on Cougar Link and filling out the student employment application under the “Forms” section. 

Another Kean office with availability for student employment is Residential Student Services (RSS). RSS is responsible for the effective and safe operation of the student dormitories on campus. As part of the RSS team, students can fill positions varying from ACCESS tutors, customer service or desk service representatives, community assistants and computer lab assistants. To receive more information on open positions and to apply, interested students should visit the RSS office in Whiteman Hall.

Kean’s Intramurals and Recreation department allows for students to work as either event staff for school sporting events or area attendants. Those interested in joining this team can apply by selecting the “Employment” tab on the Intramural and Recreation website and using the link to the online application.

Students with a knack for technology and computers can work as part of the Office of Computer and Information Services (OCIS), where they can help to ensure Kean’s technology runs smoothly and aids in the enhancement of student education. To apply, interested students should visit the OCIS office in the Technology Building. They can also be contacted via phone or email at (908) 737-6000 and support@kean.edu.

Kean is part of the Federal Work Study (FWS) program, which offers work for students based on their financial aid needs. To be part of this program, students must be deemed eligible by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and fill out the application on the FWS page of the Kean website. Afterwards, these students can be paired with jobs ranging from work in one of the academic offices to research assistantships.

Lastly, applications recently opened Jan. 9 for those looking to become New Student Orientation leaders. Priority applications are due Feb. 8 by 2 p.m., while regular applications will be accepted up until either all positions have been taken or at 2 p.m. on Feb. 22. To apply and review the position requirements, please visit the New Student Orientation page on Cougar Link and locate the application under the “Forms” section. 

Evidently, Kean hosts an array of ways for students to further integrate themselves into the inner workings of this world-class institution. To stay up to date on which offices and departments are looking for students to fill open positions, make sure to frequently check the news section of Cougar Link.

Zoe Strozewski - Web

Zoe Strozewski, Staff Writer
strozewz@kean.edu 

Zoe Strozewski is a sophomore majoring in communications with a focus on journalism. She joined The Cougar's Byte as a staff writer in February 2018.  In her free time she enjoys reading, writing, listening to music and playing for Kean's women's volleyball team.  In the future, she hopes to spend her days reporting on politics, music, and social issues as a writer for The New Yorker or Rolling Stone