David Sanborn Quintet to Grace Enlow Recital Hall

The six-time Grammy Award-winning saxophonist will perform Sunday, Feb. 10 at 3 p.m.

Campus News > David Sanborn Quintet to Grace Enlow Recital Hall

David Sanborn, one of the most active and successful Jazz musicians of the past half-century, is coming to perform at Kean University's Enlow Recital Hall. 

Kieffer Braisted, Staff Writer

One of the most active and successful Jazz musicians of the past half-century is coming to perform at Kean University's Enlow Recital Hall.

Six-time Grammy award winner and Platinum-selling saxophonist David Sanborn and his quad of fellow musicians will visit the Union campus Sunday, Feb. 10 at 3 p.m. located on East Campus.

The newly-formed quintet, lead by Sanborn, is currently embarking on its first national and international tour, making additional stops in Nebraska, Massachusetts, New York and eventually Zürich, Switzerland.

Sanborn has enjoyed quite a long and illustrious career as a saxophonist, contributing to various genres such as instrumental pop, R&B and traditional jazz, which are all infused into his own unique playing style. 

Beginning his professional career at just 14 years old, Sanborn went on to study music at Northwestern University before transferring to the University of Iowa. 

After a brief but highly successful stint performing with various groups, including The Rolling Stones and David Bowie, Sanborn decided to focus more on creating a solo career. He moved to New York City and released his first solo album "Taking Off" in 1975.

The aforementioned release of his first solo album jumpstarted what would be a lengthy discography, consisting of an additional eight Gold albums alongside his one Platinum and six Grammy Awards. 

In addition to music as a craft, Sanborn has also hosted radio and TV shows revolving around music. Sanborn hosted the TV show "Night Music" from 1988 to 1990, featuring reviews and performances of popular Jazz music at the time. Additionally, Sanborn has regularly hosted the "After New Year's Eve" TV special on ABC. 

During the 1980s and 1990s, Sanborn also hosted a syndicated radio program, "The Jazz Show". He has also recorded songs for The Late Late Show with Tom Snyder, and  he teamed up with his nephew and brother-in-law to create a new ongoing show called "Sanborn Sessions" in 2017. 

Despite having been in the musical industry for nearly 60 years, Sanborn has yet again decided to switch things up slightly, taking influences from all over his career to form his newest rendition: the David Sanborn New Quintet.

Consisting of fellow Jazz artists Wycliffe Gordon (trombone), Ben Williams (bass), Andy Ezrin (piano/keyboards) and Billy Kilson (drums), Sanborn completes the quintet with his saxophone. Priding themselves on creating music that goes "Straight to The Heart", the quintet aims to both energize and inspire all those in attendance of their performances.

Please note the following:

• Tickets purchased by phone are subject to a $3 processing charge per order.
  • Tickets purchased in-person at Kean Stage Box Office are not subject to processing charges. 
  • Tickets purchased online are subject to online fees per ticket order.

Those interested in receiving more information upon attending or purchasing tickets may visit the Kean Box Office in Wilkins Theatre from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. Tickets may also be purchased online.

Any additional information on Sanborn or his music may be found on his official website.

Kieffer Braisted - Web

Kieffer Braisted, Staff Writer
braistki@kean.edu 

Kieffer Braisted is a Staff Writer for The Cougar’s Byte. He joined the staff in March 2018.