Get in the Know with Delta Rho

Kean's Kappa Delta Pi chapter strives to prepare future educators in reaching their potential

Features > Get in the Know with Delta Rho
Get in the Know with Delta Rho

Members of Delta Rho Chapter of Kappa Delta Pi pose with awards they won at the Kappa Delta Pi 2017 Convocation.

Courtesy of Delta Rho

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor

Delta Rho is the Kean Chapter of Kappa Delta Pi, International Honor Society in Education. The Delta Rho chapter was established Feb. 19, 1938 by Florence Stratemeyer, Ph.D., with help from William Bagley, Ph.D. The honor society strives to prepare future educators in reaching their full potential by connecting them to resources, opportunities and other professionals.

President of Delta Rho Caitlyn Murphy said, "We encourage quality learning by giving all levels of educators the means to implement research-based strategies, continue professional growth, develop leadership and become master teachers. We are here to be a resource, ally and friend to those who share the same passion."

Delta Rho's meeting dates and times vary according to the College of Education schedule to help accommodate as many members as they can. Their meetings consist of fellowship and informational presentations to support members in their efforts to earn a career in education. Delta Rho also holds professional development programs every month and partners with other organizations who share in similar visions. Perhaps the most beneficial aspect of the honor society is its ability to link students to a multitude of resources and opportunities through Delta Rho's connection with the Kappa Delta Pi headquarters. 

Induction into the honor society allows members access to online and in-person contacts, monthly webinars, books, articles, magazines and teacher chat rooms. Members are also invited to the annual convocation where all members of every Kappa Delta Pi chapter can get together to network, further their education and learn important topics relevant to what future and current educators will have to address within their classrooms. 

"This convocation changes [location and theme] every year.  Workshops, round tables and various other presentations are held to help teachers get new ideas and recharge their passion for teaching. At our chapter level, we take all that we can from headquarters and share it with our members during our meetings," explained Murphy. 

To be eligible to become a member, students must:

• Have a GPA of 3.5 or higher
  • Be at least a sophomore undergraduate student or a graduate student
  • Attend two meetings   
  • Complete a service project
  • Attend the annual induction dinner

Delta Rho also seeks to help education students who may be unable to be inducted into the honor society, by growing the chapter and making Delta Rho resources more available to the College of Education. The ultimate goal of Delta Rho is to educate and inspire other educators to persevere through any obstacles that may come on their career path.

For more information or to see how you can get involved, email Rho Delta at kdp@kean.edu, call them at (908) 737-3866 or check out their Cougar Link page.

Abigail Anne Rafael - web

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor
rafaela@kean.edu

Abigail Anne Rafael is the Senior Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and first joined staff in January 2018. She is a communication major with a concentration in public relations. Abigail aims to inspire and motivate readers with her writing. After graduating from Kean, she hopes to work for a Catholic company to dispel mistruths about the Church.