Ball for Life

The Class of 2022 is hosting Hoops 4 Heart to raise funds for the American Heart Association

Campus News > Ball for Life
Ball for Life

The Hoops 4 Hearts basketball tournament will take place Tuesday, March 19 to raise funds for the American Heart Association. 

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor

The Student Organization Class of 2022 will be hosting the Hoops 4 Hearts basketball tournament Tuesday, March 19 from 8 to 10 p.m. to raise funds for the American Heart Association. Students are invited to round up a group of friends to enroll into the basketball tournament. It only costs $5 to participate and all proceeds go to a great cause.

Hoops 4 Heart Flyer

The Student Organization Class of 2022 seek to fund-raise for the American Heart Association with Hoops 4 Heart.

Each group should have five players, and there should be four teams in total. Students who do not wish to play in the tournament can watch the games with a $2 entry fee.

The event was inspired in part by the Class of 2022's sentiment that the American Heart Association, for all the good that it does, still doesn't get enough recognition.

"I believe fundraising for the American Heart Association is extremely important because innumerable people suffer from heart diseases and heart conditions. Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both women and men. One out of four people in the United States die from heart disease each year. By fundraising, we are funding research and providing our services to better the world," said the Class of 2022's Senator Amani Saleem. 

The American Heart Association was created in 1924 by six cardiologists with the intention to fight heart disease and stroke. Heart disease is a leading killer in the U.S. and, until the creation of the American Heart Association, had gone largely untreated for lack of knowledge. 

The founders of the American Heart Association thus teamed up together to use scientific research to find more treatments and preventative measures with the ultimate goal of curing the disease. Since it had first set out to change the world,  the American Heart Association has touched many hearts through its life-changing innovations and work. To help forward their mission, the Class of 2022 wants to invite the Kean Community to become educated on its incentives and raise money for the organization through this event.

The event had taken a lot of planning and consideration on the behalf of the Class of 2022. 

"The planning process took a lot of thinking, but with all of our great minds that came together, we put together the event. During our last freshman class meeting, we got right to work [with] no hesitations. We created the flyers, designed the shirts and planned out how the event will function," said Saleem.

In support of the Class of 2022's diligence, President Mekhia Baker asserted that students should look forward to an entertaining halftime show and an overall fun night. 

To sign up for the Hoops 4 Hearts basketball tournament, students can visit the Office of Student Government in the Miron Student Center (MSC), Room 309. For more information, students can visit the event's Cougar Link page or contact the Office of Student Government by calling (908) 737-5190.

Abigail Anne Rafael - web

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor
rafaela@kean.edu

Abigail Anne Rafael is the Senior Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and first joined staff in January 2018. She is a communication major with a concentration in public relations. Abigail aims to inspire and motivate readers with her writing. After graduating from Kean, she hopes to work for a Catholic company to dispel mistruths about the Church.