Kean University's Black History Month Recap

Kean University hosted events to help celebrate Black History Month in February

Campus News > Kean University's Black History Month Recap
Kieffer Braisted, Staff Writer

Kean University prides itself on being a top-five most diverse university in the entire nation.

One of many student representations on campus is the African American community, and Kean University looks to celebrate this by hosting several events centered around Black History Month in February.

Featuring a variety of ways to get involved, Kean offered several outlets for students to participate, including trivia shows, social events, historical seminars, museum visitations and more.

A detailed list of the events over the course of the month is below:

Monday, Feb. 4:

Black History Month Flag Raising: 

Hosted by the Kean Student Organization and the Pan-African Student Union to begin Black History Month, guest speaker Assemblyman Jamel C. Holley helped commence the month. 

Black History Month Kick-Off:

After the flag raising, students went to the Miron Student Center (MSC) Atrium to continue the Black History Month celebration with a variety of activities, food, music and a good atmosphere.

Tuesday, Feb. 5:

Eat N’ Play Black History Trivia Show: 

Students were tested on their knowledge of Kean and black history in The Cougar's Den's very own trivia game show. Contestants competed in several rounds of fun and intricate questions against each other to find the ultimate trivia champion.

Thursday, Feb. 7:

GBM: Hip Hop Evolution:

Hosted by the Poetry Club, the group took a closer look into the art of hip-hop and its undeniable influence on verbal and visual creativity in today's society.

Friday, Feb. 8:

Lessons Learned: Race in the American Classroom:

Keynote speaker and Rutgers University professor Dr. Melissa Cooper presented to over 50 teachers and administrators who belong to the Holocaust Resource Center's Council on Global Education and Citizenship, as well as Kean students during the workshop. The workshop discussed ways to help better determine the current state of racism in the nation's school systems, while discussing what needs to be done to help better combat said ignorance in a healthy and educational manner.

Saturday, Feb. 9:

Screening of Black Panther:

The North Avenue Academic Building (NAAB) auditorium played host to the Academy Award-winning Marvel film Black Panther, starring Chadwick Boseman and Michael B. Jordan.

Friday, Feb. 22:

Kean PRSSA Celebrates Black History Month with visit to NYC:

Students spent the morning at 5W PR, one of the Top 10 Independent PR Firms in the country. Additionally, Kean students attending also had the unique opportunity to visit The Museum of Public Relations, where during an educational recap of the industry's history featured artifacts handled in the museum's "Celebrating Black PR History" exhibit. 

Kean students, staff and alumni understood the importance of this month, through celebrating and fostering the diverse values and rich history of Black History Month through a variety of mediums.

It is Kean University's mission to continue to foster diversity, creativity and togetherness on its campus and throughout its involvement with the community. 

For more information about other events like this one, visit Cougar Link under events.

PHOTO GALLERIES:

Kieffer Braisted - Web

Kieffer Braisted, Staff Writer
braistki@kean.edu 

Kieffer Braisted is a Staff Writer for The Cougar’s Byte. He joined the staff in March 2018.