Distinguished Lecture Series: Chelsea Clinton

Chelsea Clinton will discuss the alarming rate of endangered animals

Campus News > Distinguished Lecture Series: Chelsea Clinton
Chelsea Clinton's visit to Kean is among many in the Distinguished Lecture Series and is co-sponsored by The Lesniak Institute for American Leadership. | Photo Courtesy of: Peter Kramer/NBC

Best-selling author Chelsea Clinton will be discussing the issue of endangered animals as well as her new children's book Don’t Let Them Disappear during a special lecture event and book signing at Enlow Recital Hall Thursday, April 4. Please note, the location has changed from Wilkins Theatre to Enlow Recital Hall.

The Lesniak Institute for American Leadership co-sponsored this event with Kean's Distinguished Lecture Series. The Lesniak Institute seeks to develop the next generation of American leaders by offering firsthand experience and partnering with grassroots organizations.

Former State Senator Raymond J. Lesniak, for whom the institute was named after, sponsored hundreds of laws that aided various issues including human rights and animal welfare. Moreover, Lesniak will moderate a discussion with Clinton about the unnerving rate at which endangered animals are disappearing around the world. They will also discuss possible solutions on how the public can help or alleviate the issue before it gets out of hand.

“Chelsea Clinton’s book, Don’t Let Them Disappear, is a marvelous presentation to young children of the importance of humans treating animals humanely and of the recognition of their value as fellow inhabitants on Earth,” said Sen. Lesniak. “It’s an honor for New Jersey, which was the first state in the nation to ban ivory transactions to save elephants from poachers and to ban imports of trophies of endangered species, to host a forum and a book signing with Chelsea Clinton.”

Among many of the lecture series that have taken place this year, Clinton's lecture is the latest effort to bring this issue to the Kean campus, as a means to discuss one of the most important issues in today's society.

President Dawood Farahi, Ph.D., is honored to have Clinton at Kean University and is appreciative of the work she has done as an activist and leader.

“It’s a fantastic opportunity for our students and others to hear from a person who grew up on the world stage and is now making a difference around the globe," said Dr. Farahi.

Aside from being the only child of former President Bill Clinton and former Secretary of State and U.S. Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, Clinton has written various children's books including The New York Times best-selling picture book She Persisted: 13 American Women Who Changed the World. Clinton also holds the title of vice chair of the Clinton Foundation, where she facilitates initiatives that empower the next generation of leaders.

Furthermore, Clinton worked with acclaimed author and illustrator Gianna Marion on Don’t Let Them Disappear. Clinton's lecture seeks to increase the awareness of the threats to endangered animals and her book aims to introduce younger readers to this issue. Some of the animals included in the book are rhinos, pandas and polar bears, and shares what makes them special and what people can do to help them survive.

In order to attend the event, students and guests must order tickets.

Students with a valid high school or college ID can purchase $5 tickets at the Wilkins Theatre box office. It should be noted that students will not receive a complimentary copy of the book, but they can purchase one if interested. Other guests are encouraged to buy their tickets online through Vendini, where tickets are $25 with a complimentary book. Group discounts are also available.

Doors open at 5 p.m. to allow time for parking and other options for transit. The event will begin at 6 p.m. and will follow with a conversation between Lesniak and Clinton, an audience Q&A session and a book signing.

For more information, students and guests can visit the Kean website as well as The Lesniak Institute's website for further details.