Staying on Track to Graduate

The Graduation Incentive Program is designed to encourage students to graduate in four years

Campus News > Staying on Track to Graduate
Staying on Track to Graduate
John Simons, pictured in the middle, was a participant in the Graduation Incentive Program.
Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer

Kean University is dedicated to aiding their students to academic success. One new way that the university plans on enacting this is with the recent Graduation Incentive Program. This plan was put into action to assist students and ensure that they are graduating in four years. This program was possible through collaboration among the Office of the Registrar, Division of Academic Affairs, deans, faculty members and Scholarship Services

Now in its second year, the Graduation Incentive Program had been brought to Kean when President Farahi and the Board of Trustees established it in hopes of helping more students graduate in only four years. The program resulted in 65 extra students graduating, bringing the four-year graduation rate up by 5 percent. With a result that was much higher than expected, the President and the Board of Trustees are hopeful about the future impact of this program. 

The Graduation Audit Team in the Registrar's Office is responsible for helping students decipher which summer courses they need to take. Thus, students will be able to complete their degree in a shorter amount of time because they would not have to return the following fall. Completing one's degree during the Summer Session is considered the same academic year as completing it in the spring semester.

In addition to graduating in a more effective amount of time, students who participate and complete the Graduation Incentive Program will receive a monetary reward. Depending on how many credits one has to complete in the summer, one can get a reward of $500 or $1,000. 

The requirements of the Graduate Incentive Program are as follows:

• Must have started as a Kean University freshman in Summer or Fall 2015
  • Must be in good academic standing by May 2019
  • Must complete degree requirements in Summer 2019
  • Final summer enrollment or classes must be taken at Kean
  • Cannot be a transfer student or admitted to Kean University during the Winter Session

Brian Treanor, director of Scholarship Services, said, “If there is a point where [students] do fall a bit behind, Summer Session and Winter Session are excellent opportunities to get back on point and keep their eyes on the prize, so to speak. Better yet, depending on the coursework that is available, some students could even graduate in less than four years!"

It has been proven that graduating in four years is very beneficial for students. It allows them to become more driven and more professionally successful. Additionally, it results in less college debt, which can further advance students in their post-graduation endeavors. 

If one has questions regarding the Graduation Incentive Program, reach out to the Office of Scholarship Services by emailing kuscholar@kean.edu or calling (908) 737-0415.

Sheehan Shannon - web

Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer
sheehsha@kean.edu

Shannon Sheeehan is a Junior Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Marketing. She joined The Cougar's Byte staff in Spring 2018. After her time at Kean, Shannon hopes to start her professional career in Public Relations and/or Social Media.