A Look at Kean's Tutoring Services

Kean is home to a variety of resources to help students succeed academically

Features > A Look at Kean's Tutoring Services
A Look at Kean's Tutoring Services
The Writing Center, located in Nancy Thompson Learning Commons, Room 108, is one of Kean's many tutoring resources.
Zoe Strozewski, Staff Writer

In order to assist students in their academic journey, Kean is home to an assortment of tutoring services to provide the community with extra help outside of class.

The Tutoring and Learning Support Services, located on the second floor of the Nancy Thompson Learning Commons (NTLC), is one of Kean’s offices that offers both online and in-person academic aid. The department employs professional tutors and students alike and trains them to be proficient in helping students through a wide range of subjects.

To utilize this resource, students can visit the center during its walk-in hours:

• Monday-Thursday: 9 a.m.-9 p.m.

• Friday: 9 a.m.-5 p.m.

• Saturday: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.

• Sunday: 3 p.m.-7 p.m.

Students can also make appointments online by visiting the Tutoring and Learning Support Services page on the Kean website and clicking on the TutorTrac link. After signing in, students must select the “Tutoring/Learning Commons” option when prompted to select the center from which they are seeking aid.

On top of the Tutoring and Learning Support Services, the NTLC is also home to the Writing Center and Public Speaking Lab to help students in specialized academic skills.

The Writing Center, located in NTLC, Room 108, offers both online and in-person appointments to help students evaluate and improve their writing skills. Online appointments can be made in-person, over the phone at (908) 737-4793 or via TutorTrac by selecting the “WRITING_CENTER” option after logging in.

The Public Speaking Lab, located in NTLC, Room 114A, offers students one-on-one sessions with specialists in order to help them practice and refine any speeches or presentations. Appointments can also be made via TutorTrac by selecting the “Public Speaking Lab” option after logging in. Additionally, more information can be sought by calling or emailing the center at (908) 737-4604 and speechlab@kean.edu, respectively.

Those living on campus have the additional ability to use ACCESS Tutoring, a resource located in the Freshmen Residence Hall and provided by Residential Student Services (RSS). ACCESS Tutoring employs Kean students who have earned an A- or above for each of the courses in which they offer tutoring.

ACCESS holds both individual and group tutoring sessions, as well as workshops and mentoring sessions. Students can seek help from ACCESS during their walk-in hours by visiting the second floor of the Freshmen Residence Hall between the hours of 7 to 11 p.m on Sundays through Wednesdays.

One-on-one sessions require students to either email accesstutoring@kean.edu or make an online appointment on TutorTrac by selecting the “ACCESS” option when prompted to choose a center. These appointments must be made at least 24 hours prior.

Before using any of these services, be sure to review each department’s policies and suggestions to maximize the helpfulness of an appointment by visiting their pages on the Kean website.

Zoe Strozewski - Web

Zoe Strozewski, Staff Writer
strozewz@kean.edu 

Zoe Strozewski is a sophomore majoring in communications with a focus on journalism. She joined The Cougar's Byte as a staff writer in February 2018.  In her free time she enjoys reading, writing, listening to music and playing for Kean's women's volleyball team.  In the future, she hopes to spend her days reporting on politics, music, and social issues as a writer for The New Yorker or Rolling Stone