Greeks Going for the Gold

The Greek Senate hosted the annual Greek Olympics, in which the letter organizations competed in various competitions

Campus Life > Greeks Going for the Gold

Kean Greeks partake in a friendly competition of games suited for a Greek Olympian!

Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer

Every spring semester, the Greek Senate hosts the Greek Olympics, in which the fraternities and sororities on campus get to compete against each other. They compete in various athletic and fun events to reach an overall winner, one for the fraternities and one for the sororities. While the organizations are competing against each other, ultimately the Greek Olympics spreads a sense of unity between the organizations because it gives the members a chance at a friendly competition.

The events were spread out over a three weeks and concluded this year April 17 with the soccer event. For three weeks, the fraternities and sororities competed head-to-head in a series of fun and athletic events which ultimately bonded the Greek community even further.

The events that transpired this year are as follows:

The Sorority Winner: Greek Olympics 2019
The winner for the sororities for this years Greek Olympics is Theta Phi Alpha, who have now won six years in a row.
  • Soccer
  • Volleyball
  • Basketball
  • Greek Sing
  • Goofy Games, which includes a wheel-barrow race, three-legged race, tug of ear and relay race
  • Greek Sing
  • Kickball
  • Dodge ball
  • Miron Student Center Games, which includes Connect 4, billiards, Wii tennis, Wii bowling, air-hockey and table tennis

This year, the Senate decided to announce the winners at the annual Greek Banquet, which was held April 25 at Galloping Hill Caterers. This is an event where the Greek organizations are recognized for the achievements in areas such as academics, campus involvement, community service and more.

Gabriella Lapointe, the upcoming Greek Senate president, announced the winners at the dinner. The winners for the sororities were as follows:

The Fraternity Winner: Greek Olympics 2019
The winner for the fraternities for this years Greek Olympics is Nu Sigma Phi.
  • First place: Theta Phi Alpha
  • Second place: Delta Phi Epsilon
  • Third place: Omega Sigma Psi

The winners for the fraternities are as follows:

• First place: Nu Sigma Phi
  • Second place: Sigma Beta Tau
  • Third place: Sigma Theta Chi

Austin Celluro, the President of Nu Sigma Phi said, "It's a great feeling to be back on top! This is my second win since I became a member, and it is definitely a team effort. "

Celluro continued, "We played hard and gave it our all every time we were on the field. It definitely feels good to call ourselves champs once again!"

While the Greek Olympics are a competition, the overall moral of the events are to bond the organization even further to generate a closer community.

For those unaware, the Greek community consists of over 25 letter organizations on campus that promote the ideals of scholarship, leadership, service and campus involvement all while using the means of brotherhood/sisterhood.

To learn more about Greek life here at Kean, be sure to check out the Greek Senate Cougar Link and the respective sororities and fraternities on Cougar Link as well.

Sheehan Shannon - web

Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer
sheehsha@kean.edu

Shannon Sheeehan is a Junior Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Marketing. She joined The Cougar's Byte staff in Spring 2018. After her time at Kean, Shannon hopes to start her professional career in Public Relations and/or Social Media.