It's an Honor

Kean is home to an assortment of honor societies in which students can seek membership

Features > It's an Honor
It's an Honor
Lambda Pi Eta, Kean's chapter of the National Communication Association Honor Society, is one of the many organizations of its kind at this school. Courtesy of Lambda Pi Eta.
Zoe Strozewski, Staff Writer

To recognize the efforts of Kean’s high-achieving students, this school houses a variety of honor societies in which students can seek membership. Because of the diversity in the missions and focuses of each individual society, there is likely at least one organization where each and every student can pursue membership.

Honor societies can recognize many areas of achievement, from academic success to leadership to athletic excellence. They can draw from the school as a whole, or just from certain majors or organizations on campus.

While Kean officially recognizes nearly 30 honor societies in total, here is a sampling of some of the preeminent organizations of their kind:

Some honor societies will automatically admit qualifying students while others require students to go through application processes in order to join. For example, Lambda Sigma Alpha will receive a list of any qualifying individuals from the Office of Registrar after every fall semester and automatically admit those students. On the other hand, those looking to join Alpha Phi Sigma must submit an application for admission.

This school is also home to Kean-specific honor societies, as well as honor societies that are part of larger organizations. For example, Kean’s Sigma Delta Pi is a chapter of a national organization that accepts students from many schools into its ranks. However, Lambda Sigma Alpha was founded at Kean and therefore only exists and accepts members at this school.

There are also differences in honor societies when it comes to membership qualifications. While some automatically accept students if they meet the GPA and credit criteria, others require students to pay dues or complete community service hours in order to maintain their membership in the societies. In most cases, it is the national organizations that require payments and service hours rather than the school-specific organizations.

Additionally, the societies may require members to acquire a certain amount of meetings each semester and attend an induction ceremony.

While many differences exist between Kean's assemblage of honor societies, they all share common benefits for students. Membership in honor societies can be indicated on resumes and many of the societies provide members with certificates, as well as chords to wear at graduation. Additionally, students can take pride in the recognition from these societies for their achievements and excellence.

To learn more about Kean's honor society offerings and criteria for membership, please visit Cougar Link. Additionally, the listed advisers for each society can be contacted for more information.

Zoe Strozewski - Web

Zoe Strozewski, Staff Writer
strozewz@kean.edu 

Zoe Strozewski is a sophomore majoring in communications with a focus on journalism. She joined The Cougar's Byte as a staff writer in February 2018.  In her free time she enjoys reading, writing, listening to music and playing for Kean's women's volleyball team.  In the future, she hopes to spend her days reporting on politics, music, and social issues as a writer for The New Yorker or Rolling Stone