Stay Involved Through the Involvement Center!

Essentials > Stay Involved Through the Involvement Center!
The Involvement Center is a resource for students and student groups to utilize to become more involved on campus.
Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer

The Involvement Center is a hub of resources on campus to help the over 140 student groups excel to their greatest potential. Located in the Miron Student Center, Room 303, the Involvement Center is a space where student groups are able to meet with their group members and collaborate on ideas. Additionally, student groups can come here with any questions or if they are in need of assistance in any way, and an involvement specialist will guide them to success.

There are many resources available to student groups that are located in the Involvement Center, such as three conference rooms for groups to rent out to hold meetings, as well as a resource room with student group supplies that members are able to use. Also, there are lockers and mailboxes available to the groups to stay organized and store their belongings.

Involvement Center
Students can use many of the resources located in the Involvement Center, such as the computer workstations.

Walking in to the Involvement Center, one will see a set of computer workstations lined up on the wall, which are equipped with Microsoft Office and Adobe Design Standard CS6. Student group members are able to utilize these to work on projects or activities for their groups. Also students can print and make black and white as well as color copies for their organizations.

The staff at the Involvement Center are very well versed in working with student groups and have ample knowledge on the involvement opportunities on campus. They even offer consultation and mentoring to student groups that may need assistance or guidance.

Involvement Specialist Sarah Otero said, "The specialists meet up with the students and provide peer advising. [Peer advising] is one-on-one sessions with students so they are not hearing [feedback] from an adult, they are hearing it from their peers."

She continued, "We help guide [students] to the best choices for organizations as well as [contact] various groups and help them with event planning, event form submissions, event supplies [and more]."

Involvement specialists can also help aid student groups with tasks such as reserving rooms, filling out student group forms, Cougar Link tasks and any other issue an organization faces. They are there to help with any need of student groups so be sure to utilize their expertise.

The Involvement Center is open five days a week to accommodate to students as well as offer late night hours to be more accessible. The hours for the Fall and Spring semesters are as follows:

• Monday through Thursday: 10 a.m.- 10 p.m.
  • Friday: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.

The Involvement Center is a great resource for students to utilize if they wish to become more involved on campus or if they are already a part of a student group. To learn more about the Involvement Center or to get in contact with an Involvement Specialist, be sure to visit Room 303 in the Miron Student Center, email groups@kean.edu, or call (908) 737-5170, extension 75270.

Sheehan Shannon - web

Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer
sheehsha@kean.edu

Shannon Sheeehan is a Junior Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Marketing. She joined The Cougar's Byte staff in Spring 2018. After her time at Kean, Shannon hopes to start her professional career in Public Relations and/or Social Media.