A Step in the Right Direction

Career Services and RSS hosts their Part-Time Job Fair

Campus Life > A Step in the Right Direction

Career Services and the Office of Residential Student Services hosted a Part-Time Job Fair this past Wednesday, Sept. 25 to connect students with potential employers.

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor

This past Wednesday, Sept. 25 Career Services and the Office of Residential Student Services co-hosted their Part-Time Job Fair. The fair featured 46 companies in a variety of industries.

Students were lucky to have such a broad range of potential employers on campus. Each company had their own set of internships and part-time jobs that they exhibited to interested students. Students were able to present themselves and their resumes in hopes of making a memorable first impression on the company representatives at the fair.

A list of companies present at the fair are as follows:

• 1-800-GOT-JUNK?
  • 2020 Census
  • A Friendly Face Autism Treatment Services
  • Above Grade Level
  • Advanced Parking Concepts, LLC
  • Bath & Body Works
  • buybuy BABY
  • Cambridge Mathstories Inc.
  • CASA of Union County, inc.
  • College Nannies, Sitters and Tutors of NJ
  • Community Access Unlimited
  • Compass SchoolHouse
  • Escapology Escape Rooms Garwood
  • ESS
  • FedEx Ground
  • Jumpstart Kean
  • Kean University's Office of Graduate Admissions
  • Kean University's Center for Leadership & Service
  • Kean University's Disability Services
  • Kean University's One Stop Service Center
  • Kean University's Student Health Services
  • Kean University's Theatre Management & Programming
  • Literacy New Jersey Union County Programs
  • Lord & Taylor
  • Meadowlands YMCA
  • Michael Kors
  • Middlesex County Conservation Corps
  • My Gym Children's Fitness Center
  • On Time Ambulance
  • Parking Productions- John Dent, Inc.
  • Premiere Stages at Kean University
  • Progressive Theater
  • Right at Home
  • Saks Off 5th
  • Sherwin-Williams
  • Somerset County and Plainfield YMCA
  • Somerset County Library System of New Jersey
  • Squarejack
  • Star Hospitality Group
  • Talbots
  • The Lesniak Institute for American Leadership
  • Union Cabinetry
  • United Way of Greater Union County/ Hillside Family Success Center
  • UPS
  • Victra
  • Wilkin & Guttenplan

Employers each had a table where they displayed information, applications, giveaways, pamphlets and were willing to discuss possible job opportunities with all who attended. Some companies even had an application form available at the event.

Graduate Assistant for Career Services Michael Huber said that the fair is particularly beneficial for freshmen needing to experience interviewing and working. Huber explained that the Part-Time Job Fair is also a good practice run for Career Services' upcoming Career and Internships Fair on Wednesday, Oct. 16 in which students will be expected to dress and act professionally.

Career Services has a multitude of resources for students. From resume critiques to mock interviews, Career Services has anything a student may need to land an internship or job. At the fair, Huber provided some insight into how students can best prepare for their next internship or job opportunity.

"For resumes, you want to fix your resume and critique it. We recommend [that] you find an adviser in Career Services dedicated to your specific major. They're able to critique your resume and review it. [They] make sure it is prepared for applying to jobs and internships," said Huber.

Huber also said that students who are lucky to receive an interview should practice with mock interviews prior to the interview. For most people, interviewing does not come naturally. Fortunately, the practice is a skill that can be improved with effort and time. Career Services offers students the opportunity to do mock interviews with their workers. There, Career Services will work with students to best prepare them for their upcoming job interview by utilizing the office's years of expertise on the topic.

Students may also wish to look at Kean's online employment and internship portal otherwise known as the College Central Network. Here, employers post their job listings for Kean students who are searching to find opportunities. The website is free for all Kean students and matches individuals with job listings according to their specific interests. Upcoming job fairs or workshops hosted by Career Services will also be listed on this website along with tips and tricks for landing one's dream job. The network is run by Career Services should students need any more information or help using the tool.

Career Services is located in the Center for Academic Success (CAS), Room 201. Students may contact them at (908) 737-0320 or email them at career@kean.edu. For more information on Career Services, students may also view the office's webpage on Kean's website.

Abigail Anne Rafael - web

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor
rafaela@kean.edu

Abigail Anne Rafael is the Senior Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and first joined staff in January 2018. She is a communication major with a concentration in public relations. Abigail aims to inspire and motivate readers with her writing. After graduating from Kean, she hopes to work for a Catholic company to dispel mistruths about the Church.