Climbing Higher at Homecoming

A look into all of this year's homecoming festivities

Campus News > Climbing Higher at Homecoming
Climbing Higher at Homecoming
The Kean University Cougar Football team playing at last year's Homecoming.
Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer

Beginning Friday, Oct. 24, Kean University will begin its weekend of celebrations for their annual Homecoming. This is a time where students, alumni, faculty, staff and their families all come together to show their Kean Pride, and there is no better way to celebrate than with the chosen theme this year: Cougar's Climb Higher.

Throughout the weekend there will be a variety of events for the Kean community to attend. On Thursday, Oct. 24, the Greek Senate and Student Organization will be co-hosting the Homecoming Rollerskating Party. This is going to transpire from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. in Downs Hall. Tickets for this event can be purchased at the Wilkins Theatre Box Office. Only two tickets can be purchased per Kean ID, and the prices are $5 per student and $7 per outside member. Outside members, including alumni, must be sure to bring their ID's to the event. The Homecoming Rollerskating Party will include socializing, eating, dancing and even rollerskating so students won't want to miss it!

On Friday, Oct. 25 the Harwood Arena will be filled with students and athletes for the Pep Rally. Here, students will get excited to cheer on the Kean football team the following day. There will be a lot of games and music to get everyone in the spirit.

From 6 to 10 p.m. Friday, Oct. 25, a Greek Reunion will be held at Ursino Steakhouse and Tavern, which is attached to the New Jersey Center for Science, Technology and Mathematics (STEM) Building. All Greek alumni and current Greek Kean students that are over the age of 21 are welcome and encouraged to come. This will be a great event for the Greeks to come together and show what Greek unity is like here at Kean, even after the time that one graduates. For more information on this event, be sure to reach out to kuf@keanfoundation.org or call (908) 316-8930.

Homecoming 2018

Saturday, Oct. 26 is the day of the Homecoming football game, but there are a few fun festivities planned before the start of the event. Beginning at 9 a.m. is the football tailgate in the Harwood Arena and Kean Hall parking lots. This will include a lot of family-friendly games and even a rock climbing wall. There will be food trucks around the event to get a bite to eat, as well as giveaways and a DJ emceeing the whole event. Campus tours will even be offered for those that want to get a better look at Kean University.

After 1 p.m. everyone will move the the Kean Alumni Stadium to cheer on the Kean Cougars Football team as they play against Salisbury University. Alumni, students, faculty, staff and family will all come together to support the Cougars. At half time, there will be festivities such as giveaways and the announcement of the Homecoming king and queen.

Homecoming 2018
The Homecoming King and Queen from 2018.

An Alumni Octoberfest will also be held from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. at Ursino Steakhouse and Tavern Saturday, Oct. 26. Here, alumni can watch a live stream of the Cougars playing the Homecoming Football Game while catching up with their old classmates. They will be able to enjoy seasonal beers and the tavern menu of Ursinos as well. There will be a charge of $15 per attendee. If one has any questions or needs more information, be sure to contact kuf@keanfoundation.org or call (908) 316-8930.

Ursino will also be hosting the Class of 1969's 50th Anniversary Celebration Sunday, Oct. 27. Alumni from the Class of 1969 are encouraged to attend as this will be a great way to celebrate their time they spent at Kean as well as their accomplishments since then with their former peers.

The Kean community is also invited and encouraged to attend the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk on Sunday, Oct. 27. This event will take place at Johnson Park in Piscataway, NJ and is hosted by the American Cancer Society. This will be one of the final events that Kean is attending for October as part of the university's Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The university has been hosting programs and accumulating donations all month long. To donate or join the Kean University team for the event, be sure to visit the Kean University web page on the American Cancer Society's website.

Kean University prides itself on the community they have created which includes not only the students, staff and faculty that work and operate the campus, but also alumni and family members. Through these homecoming events, the university aims to show that Cougars do climb higher and the positive effects of being involved in the Kean community.

Sheehan Shannon - web

Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer
sheehsha@kean.edu

Shannon Sheeehan is a Junior Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Marketing. She joined The Cougar's Byte staff in Spring 2018. After her time at Kean, Shannon hopes to start her professional career in Public Relations and/or Social Media.