Don't Worry, Be Healthy

Health and Wellness Week will be teaching the Kean community on how to live a healthy lifestyle

Campus News > Don't Worry, Be Healthy
Don't Worry, Be Healthy
Health and Wellness Week will take place the week of Mon, Sept. 30 to Friday, Oct. 5. Be sure to come out and learn more about health.
Bryanna Henderson, Staff Writer

A healthy life is one of the keys to a happy life. Unfortunately, not all students will have the time, resources, or the knowledge on how to do so. Luckily for the Kean community, during the week of Monday, Sept. 30 to Friday, Oct. 4 The Kean Wellness Task Force and Student Health Services will be hosting Health and Wellness Week.

The Kean Wellness Task Force is made up of students, faculty, and staff from different campus departments who work together in promoting wellness at Kean University. For this event, they are pairing up with Student Health Services and support from P.U.L.S.E., the Peer Educators and Human Resources to host Health and Wellness Week. The point is to give the Kean community knowledge and access to health resources for ways to better themselves not only throughout college, but to continue across their life.

The week will be filled with a variety of different events leading up to a speaker who will discuss a topic related to health and wellness. The speaker for this year will be Anne Carlson-Zyats a personal trainer/exercise specialist. Students can anticipate a discussion about balancing a healthy lifestyle alongside of school, work and/or family obligations. For those wanting to hear this speech, they can visit the Miron Student Center (MSC) Little Theater from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 2.

Other events that are being held throughout the week include Meeting the Peer Educators on Monday, Sept. 30, free confidential HIV testing Tuesday, Oct. 1, the Kean University Health Fair Thursday, Oct. 3 and Yoga on Friday, Oct. 4. While these events are mainly focused on campus resources, everyone from students to faculty and staff are invited to join. Additionally, there will even be a flu and vaccine clinic that is available for anyone to visit on Thursday, Oct. 3 in Down's Hall during the health fair.

The Kean University Health Fair will take place on Thursday, Oct. 3 and will have a variety of activities for people to enjoy. Students can get excited for 35 on and off campus vendors, the flu and vaccine clinic, music, Zumba, yoga and dance interactive demonstrations, a smoothie bike, giveaways, raffles and some light refreshments. There will be apparel and a Fitbit that will be raffled. Attendees are encouraged to bring non-perishable items for the Cougar Pantry to receive an extra raffle ticket.

If one is on the fence about attending these events, the Health Fair meets one of the optional requirements in the First Year Student Cougar Climb Health and Wellness Path. If anyone is looking to fill that requirement, this will be the perfect opportunity. Event passes will be used at all of the events.

For more information about Health and Wellness Week students can visit Cougar Link. There will be flyers posted around campus and Student Health Services is open for more information. If you are interested in contacting Student Health Services their number is (908) 737-4880. 

Health and Wellness Week is not just a time to learn more about healthy living, it is to have fun, spend time with friends and gather more information about maintaining one's well-being.

Bryanna Henderson - web

Bryanna Henderson, Staff Writer
hendebry@kean.edu

Bryanna Henderson is an English major with a focus on writing. She began working at The Cougar’s Byte in August of 2019. She hopes to translate her degree and skills gained from being a staff writer into a professional writing career someday. Bryanna's main focus will be novels, but eventually she would like to branch out in working on screenplays, TV scripts and stage plays. Currently, she is involved in several different clubs on campus and hopes to add a few more to that list.