Need Help With Your Money?

Kean's financial aid counselors are a resource for students' financial struggles

Campus News > Need Help With Your Money?
Need Help With Your Money?
Financial aid counselors are available for all students throughout their time at Kean.
Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor

A quality education with a low cost for attendance is something that Kean University is proud to offer to their students. To help students afford their college education, Kean has a multitude of financial aid, even offering in-person financial aid counseling for all students.

The Office of Financial Aid has seven financial aid counselors to help the Kean student body. Financial aid counselors are designated according to the first letter of a student's last name. The counselors and their designations are as follows:

• Ana Wetzel for last names A,B,C
  • Grace Sanchez-Ferrer for last names D,E,F,G
  • Flora Needhidass for last names H,I,J,K,L
  • Sally Mathan for last names M
  • Catherine Flynn for last names N,O,P,Q
  • Joel Berke for last names R,S,T
  • Erica Avington for last names U,V,W,X,Y,Z

Students can set up an appointment with their financial aid counselors through the office's booking web page. If a student's counselor is not available, however, they may go to another representative.

Financial aid counselors are equipped to guide students through a variety of financial processes.

"Sometimes a student might not know which questions to ask, meeting with a counselor can provide insight into why certain documents are required and provide suggestions on how to obtain tax and household information," said Director of the Office of Financial Aid Sherrell Watson-Hall.

Students may be surprised to discover the wide range of circumstances that may impact their finances.

"Oftentimes students do not realize that maintaining satisfactory academic progress is a requirement of continued financial aid eligibility. If a student is in jeopardy of falling below the academic standards, we invite the student to meet with a counselor to discuss options. Additionally, students intending to drop some or all of their courses in a given term should meet with a financial aid counselor to determine how their aid may be impacted."

Students curious to know the different impact areas the Office of Financial Aid handles may visit their web page on the Kean website. There, they will find that the office has resources and insight on scholarships, financial aid, the FAFSA, IRS Tax Returns, W-2s, loan entrance and exit counseling, financial forms and much more.

An important application of particular interest to students is the 2020-2021 FAFSA which is due on March 1, 2020.

"If a student has questions regarding completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), our counselors are trained and experienced in providing guidance," said Watson-Hall.

If a student has general questions that may be answered during a quick discussion, financial aid professionals are also available at the One Stop Center on the first floor of the Center for Academic Success. Students may also call the main office at (908) 737-3190 or email them at finaid@kean.edu.

Abigail Anne Rafael - web

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor
rafaela@kean.edu

Abigail Anne Rafael is the Senior Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and first joined staff in January 2018. She is a communication major with a concentration in public relations. Abigail aims to inspire and motivate readers with her writing. After graduating from Kean, she hopes to work for a Catholic company to dispel mistruths about the Church.