Yoga at the Commons: October 2019

Students enjoyed a midday yoga session

Campus Life > Yoga at the Commons: October 2019
Yoga at the Commons: October 2019
Participants engaged in a variety of positions during Yoga at the Commons.
Khali Raymond, Staff Writer

This past Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2019, the Kean University Yoga Teacher Training Certification Program held its monthly yoga session. Because of inclement weather, instead of transpiring on the grass of the Nancy Thompson Learning Commons as planned, the session took place in the Nancy Thompson Learning Commons (NTLC), Room 116 and lasted 45 minutes.

The room was dimly lit with the sounds of nature playing as several participants became comfortable and took on a variety of yoga pose. The aid of an instructor allowed participants to loosen up their bodies and allow tranquility to sweep them over. Different breathing techniques were utilized to alleviate stress and keep the participants relaxed.

Yoga, as we call it today, is derived from the Sanskrit word "yuj," which means to join or unite. This is an ancient practice which has been utilized by many different cultures for generations.

It began in Northern India over 5,000 years ago. Practicing yoga does wonders for one's physical, mental and spiritual health. It helps to bring awareness and harmony to a person.

Yoga is believed to help the body and mind in a variety of ways. Yoga has been found to help the body become more flexible, improve respiration and increase the strength and tone of the muscles which improves the body's athleticism. Cardiovascular health also improves with continued practice. Studies have also shown that yoga decreases the brain's emission of cortisol, a hormone which regulates stress. Yoga may also aid with weight loss and balancing the body's metabolism.

Meditation plays a large role in yoga because the mind has a lot to do with how the body functions, since the brain sends messages to the body to complete many actions. Meditating allows someone to control their thoughts properly and focus them into a specific area, giving one the power to think and manifest positively.

According to the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, there are eight limbs of yoga:

• Yama - discipline
  • Niyama - observances
  • Asana - posture
  • Pranayama - breathing control
  • Pratyahara - withdrawal of the senses
  • Dharana - concentration
  • Dhyana - meditation
  • Samadhi - enlightment

Each limb has a different focus and makes up a part of the overall concept of yoga. There are many ways to start doing yoga. One could either sign up for a class at a school, gym, community center or begin at home. Not much is needed to begin, save for a yoga mat.

Though there are additional accessories to help facilitate a better yoga session, they aren't required. Yoga can be practiced at any time of the day depending on the individual, though it is encouraged to do it either early in the morning or right before bed.

Practicing yoga in the morning may better one's focus, boost energy levels, reduce stress, eat responsibly and tone the body. Practicing yoga at night may increase blood flow, relax the muscles and improve mindfulness which will aid in falling asleep faster.

Yoga is something which can change the way one thinks, feels and does. It takes a bit of time to master, but once the learning curve is overcome, there are many benefits for one to reap.

Khali Raymond, Staff Writer
raymonkh@kean.edu

Raymond_Khali-web.jpg

Khali Raymond is a senior majoring in English with a writing concentration. He attained his associate's in business administration from Berkeley College - Newark in 2019. In addition to his work as a staff writer, he is also a published author, spoken word artist, musician, activist and is the president of Kean Got Talent, a performing arts club on campus. Khali uses his creativity to overcome all adversity and impact the lives of those around him.