Get Tested Today for Free

An overview of how Student Health Services provides free and confidential HIV Testing

Essentials > Get Tested Today for Free
Get Tested Today for Free
Student Health Services offers free HIV testing for Kean students on certain dates throughout the semester.
Justin Kanski, Staff Writer

In an effort to assist and educate Kean students to be aware of their sexual and personal health, the Student Health Services department at Kean University is offering HIV testing dates. Not only does Student Health Services provide these testings, but they are also both free and confidential, as long as patients are currently attending Kean University.

Student Health Services is a department on campus that is committed to maintaining and promoting optimal wellness in the Kean community. Student Health Services is dedicated to making sure that all of their student-available resources are affordable, accessible and high quality, and to providing ambulatory health care which meets the needs of the diverse student population. Other essentials that Student Health Services provides include:

• Cold and flu
  • Cough
  • Sore throat
  • Urinary tract infection
  • Pregnancy tests
  • Strep tests
  • Abdominal pain
  • Injuries
  • Rashes
  • Allergies

HIV is a virus which harms the immune system and puts an individual at risk for more serious infections and cancers. HIV is usually spread through sexual contact and can be treated but not cured. It is highly recommended that individuals at high risk for HIV get tested at least once a year to avoid any further health damages and spreading of the disease.

The option for free, rapid HIV testing, however, is no longer available, due to the funding being cancelled by the New Jersey Department of Health's Division of HIV, STD, and TB Services. However, in order to keep providing the free services for Kean students, the department has partnered with the Iris House of Plainfield and have PrEP counselors and HIV testers come to Kean University twice a month. Dates will usually fall on the first and third Tuesdays each month of the semester, and take place from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. No appointment is required on these dates. The upcoming dates for the rest of the semester are:

• Tuesday, Nov. 19
  • Tuesday, Dec. 3
  • Tuesday, Dec. 17

As long as the patient is a registered Kean Student, they are welcome to go to Student Health Services, located on campus in Downs Hall, Room 126, on these upcoming dates to get tested to see if they may or may not HIV. It is always safer to be sure than not.

Kean's Student Health Services also offers pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) medication. PrEP is a pill that protects the user when they are in an HIV-risk situation. This medication only works for people who are HIV negative and greatly lowers their risk of getting the disease. When used correctly, PrEP has a 90 percent success rate of preventing HIV from sex.

If a student has any other questions, they can email Student Health Services at hsnurses@kean.edu, call them at (908) 737-4880, or stop by their office today. The office accepts walk-ins. Remember, all information provided is highly confidential and any information that is shared in the office stays in the office. Student Health Services is committed to providing the necessary essentials to meet the needs of the student community.

Justin Kanski - web

Justin Kanski, Staff Writer
kanskij@kean.edu

Justin Kanski is a senior majoring in Communication with a focus on Media/Film and a minor in Health Relations. A Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte, Justin is also a part of Kean TV and WKNJ 90.3 Cougar Radio as the host of J Money Jams. He is a member of the Leadership Institute Platinum Level and has served as a New Student Orientation Leader for the past two years. Justin’s favorite shows are “Power” and "Cobra Kai" while his favorite movies are anything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He also loves listening to Hip-Hop music. Whether it be in front of the camera or behind it, Justin aspires to be a media mogul.