Let's Talk About Relationships

An open discussion around relationships and dating

Campus Life > Let's Talk About Relationships
Let's Talk About Relationships
The Omega Phi Chi Multicultural Sorority, Inc. and Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc. held a discussion about relationships in all aspects.
Khali Raymond, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2019, the Omega Phi Chi Multicultural Society, Inc. and Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc. hosted Let's Talk About Relationships, an open discussion around relationships and dating which took place in the Center for Academic Success (CAS), Room 455. It began at 7:30 p.m and concluded at 10 p.m.

Let's Talk About Relationships 1

The room was moderately filled with students having conversations about dating in the 21st century.

Questions were answered on what would be considered a deal breaker in a relationship, who should make the first move, the difference between talking to someone and being with them, the proper age to date, and how social media plays a role in relationships.

"Let's Talk About Relationships was a way to get men and women to discuss the answers of everyday questions about relationships and learn of other people's opinions on the subject," said Andres Batista, current member of Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc.

Batista feels that students who attended the event will have had a lot to take from it.

"They will have a better understanding of how to perceive relationships going forward with the ability to take proper action when communicating with someone," continued Batista.

With the internet, it has become easier for young adults to seek dates through the use of online dating apps and social networks. This has given people the opportunity to connect with individuals they would have not crossed paths with in real life.

Let's Talk About Relationships 3

Having open discussions around romance and relationships is essential because there are so many ways to date now and it can be dangerous since people could easily pretend to be something they're not by lying on their profile or promoting a lifestyle they aren't living.

The same connection that could be built in person is not achievable through a screen because there is a lack of genuine human interaction.

Dating and being in a relationship are two different things. When one dates, there is no serious commitment involved. Dating is short-term and teaches a person what they want or don't want in a relationship. Dating prepares people for being in a relationship since relationships are more than just going out on fancy dates and hanging out.

Omega Phi Chi is a multicultural sorority aiming to generate unity among all women by fostering and nurturing the ideas of sisterhood with the concepts of love, honesty, loyalty, respect and responsibility. Information about Omega Phi Chi Multicultural Society, Inc. can be found on their Cougar Link web page. They can be emailed at opctheta@gmail.com.

Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc. seeks to meet the needs of the Latino community though academic achievement, cultural awareness and community service with the promotion of Latino culture. For more information, students can check out their Cougar Link web page or email them at elitelambdas@kean.edu.

Khali Raymond, Staff Writer
raymonkh@kean.edu

Raymond_Khali-web.jpg

Khali Raymond is a senior majoring in English with a writing concentration. He attained his associate's in business administration from Berkeley College - Newark in 2019. In addition to his work as a staff writer, he is also a published author, spoken word artist, musician, activist and is the president of Kean Got Talent, a performing arts club on campus. Khali uses his creativity to overcome all adversity and impact the lives of those around him.