Welcoming Future Cougars

Incoming freshman learn what it means to Climb Higher at Kean University

Campus Life > Welcoming Future Cougars
Welcoming Future Cougars
Prospective students get a glimpse of Kean's various programs and opportunities to get involved at the Open House.
Justin Kanski, Staff Writer

With the fall season well underway, the wind breeze starting to kick in, pumpkin spice coffees back in stock for the season and FAFSA applications being filled out for the next academic year, it is time to welcome prospective students to join the Kean University family. On Sunday, Nov. 3, The Office of Admissions hosted its second Open House of the Fall 2019 semester.

A day filled with activities, music, food and meeting new friends or running into old ones, Open House is an event that allows prospective students get an idea of what Kean University has to offer as an institution through its academic programs. It also gives an opportunity for organizations on campus such as The Office of Student Government and The Center for Leadership and Service to offer insight on how to get involved in college and what the benefits are of volunteering throughout a student's freshmen year.

Students began checking in for Open House at 9 a.m. and were welcomed with high energy from student volunteers and Kean University Admissions office staff. Student volunteers assisted with the preparation of Open House and helped run things accordingly.

Undergrad Open House 11/3

The ceremony then kicked off in Harwood Arena at 10 a.m. with a welcome speech by President Dawood Farahi, Ph.D., followed by a special performance from a dance group. Then, students and their families were separated by either the Silver Track or the Blue Track and ventured off into the campus to view all the opportunities Kean has to offer.

"I've been to other open houses but I think this one is more interactive and welcoming, plus it makes everyone kind of feel like they are already part of the community," said Mikayla Ruiz, a freshmen athletic training major and student volunteer.

The transition from high school to college is a major stepping stone and Kean University wants to offer incoming prospective students the opportunity to make an impact on an individual's career whether it be inside of the classroom or outside with the Kean community. Students got to learn about all of the financial aid options Kean has to offer as well as meet their intended colleges which include:

• The College of Liberal Arts
  • The New Jersey Center for Science, Technology and Mathematics (NJCSTM)
  • The College of Business and Public Management
  • The College of Education
  • The College of Natural, Applied and Health Sciences
  • The Michael Graves College of Architecture and Design
  • Undergrad Open House 11/3

They also got to network with other incoming prospective students whether it be freshmen, transfer or even online students from all different backgrounds.

"I think it's really fun not only to just be involved in the school but also to just meet new people and you learn how to talk to people coming in, prospective students. Volunteering is a fun time and I would do it again," said Gracie Casais, a freshmen athletic training major and student volunteer.

With all of the available academic programs, a wide variety of group organizations to get involved in, plus an affordable tuition rate, Kean University has built a platform for all its incoming and current students and has truly defined what it means to "Climb Higher."

Justin Kanski - web

Justin Kanski, Staff Writer
kanskij@kean.edu

Justin Kanski is a senior majoring in Communication with a focus on Media/Film and a minor in Health Relations. A Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte, Justin is also a part of Kean TV and WKNJ 90.3 Cougar Radio as the host of J Money Jams. He is a member of the Leadership Institute Platinum Level and has served as a New Student Orientation Leader for the past two years. Justin’s favorite shows are “Power” and "Cobra Kai" while his favorite movies are anything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He also loves listening to Hip-Hop music. Whether it be in front of the camera or behind it, Justin aspires to be a media mogul.