Can You Unlock the RA Position?

Selection for Residential Assistants in 2020-2021 is now underway

Campus News > Can You Unlock the RA Position?
Can You Unlock the RA Position?
The Office of Residential Student Services (RSS) is now selecting students to become RAs for 2020-2021.
Khali Raymond, Staff Writer

The time has come to apply for a Residential Assistant (RA) in 2020-2021. The Office of Residential Student Services (RSS) is currently seeking students who are looking to take charge of being a leader in their community, serving as a guide to their peers through the provision of a safe and comfortable living experience for the students residing on campus.

Students who are interested in becoming an RA must attend at least one of their information sessions, located either in the Upperclassman Residence Hall Multipurpose Room (URH), Freshman Residence Hall Multipurpose Room (FRH), Miron Student Center (MSC) or the Center for Academic Success (CAS). The upcoming sessions are as follows:

• Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2019 from 9 to 10 p.m. in the FRH Multipurpose Room
  • Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2020 from 7 to 8 p.m. in CAS, Room 106
  • Friday, Jan. 24, 2020 from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. in CAS, Room 106

A few requirements must be met before applying to become an RA.

Students must have at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA or higher and be a full-time undergraduate student at Kean University, in good conduct standing. It is vital that a student attends at least one information session, or they may not be considered for the position.

Being an RA comes with a lot of obligations. While in the position, a student is responsible for the following:

• Enforcing the rules and policies of the university
  • Sharing information about the residence hall, workshops and campus activities with residents
  • Conducting events
  • Mediating conflicts between residents or other staff members
  • Assisting in the opening of the hall once the semester begins and closing once it concludes
  • Conducting monthly room checks

The benefits of being an RA include improving communication skills and obtaining valuable work experience.

They also get better with multitasking, since students in the RA position will likely be attending classes, partaking in extracurricular activities and working at the same time.

Students will learn how to properly mediate conflicts and solve problems. It will also give students the opportunity to interact with many people, granting them visibility as a campus leader.

However, the RA position is a huge commitment. An RA must make themselves accessible at all times. This could include having to work late and on weekends.

Students will be required to adjust their lifestyles accordingly, as they may no longer be able to have as much free time.

Being an RA comes with many expectations and standards, so it is imperative that a student conducts themselves cordially and avoids any situations which could cost them their position.

The advantages of being an RA certainly outweigh the challenges. Students will have a unique and unforgettable experience that'll follow them through their future. For more information, the Office of Residential Student Services is located in Whiteman Hall, and can be contacted via phone at (908) 737-6800 or via email at rssjobs@kean.edu.

Khali Raymond, Staff Writer
raymonkh@kean.edu

Raymond_Khali-web.jpg

Khali Raymond is a senior majoring in English with a writing concentration. He attained his associate's in business administration from Berkeley College - Newark in 2019. In addition to his work as a staff writer, he is also a published author, spoken word artist, musician, activist and is the president of Kean Got Talent, a performing arts club on campus. Khali uses his creativity to overcome all adversity and impact the lives of those around him.