On the Rise to Lift Others

The Greek Senate held a KDM Informational in preparation for this year's Kean Dance Marathon

Campus Life > On the Rise to Lift Others
On the Rise to Lift Others
Pictured is the grand total from last year's Kean Dance Marathon.
Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer

Each year, the Greek Senate at Kean University plans the Kean Dance Marathon (KDM), a fundraiser in which the proceeds are donated to the Children's Specialized Hospital in Mountainside, NJ. Each year they try and improve and top their earnings from the proceeding year. To kickoff this year's fundraising efforts, the Greeks at Kean were invited to a KDM Informational Monday, Dec. 9 from 3:15 to 4:30 in Miron Student Center (MSC), Room 228.

This event was held to get the members of the fraternities and sororities on campus excited for this year's event as it is going to be bigger and better than the following. Additionally, the members were given tips and tricks on how to improve their fundraising efforts. They were also reminded why this event is so vital, as all of the proceeds directly impact the children a part of the Children's Miracle Network.

"The Children's Miracle Network goes hand and hand with the Children's Specialized Hospital. It is directly where the money goes when we donate toward the hospital. It helps children and their families, who will need medical assistance for the rest of their lives," said Ericka Ambrose, Greek life specialist with the Center for Leadership and Service.

Since the Greek Senate started hosting KDM five year ago, they have collectively raised over $231,000 all for the kids. The event is a twelve hours long dance marathon in which students and attendees dance for the children who cannot. There are games, food and activities throughout the event to keep everybody on their feet and excited throughout its duration.

This year, KDM will be hosted on April 17 from 12 p.m. to 12 a.m. in Harwood Arena. The theme for this year's marathon is "We Rise to Lift Others" and will feature superhero themes as well. The goal is to have Harwood Arena filled with enthusiastic attendees for the duration of the twelve hours. The Greek Senate also wants to expand the event and raise more many than ever before, which will lead to more children getting treatments.

At the KDM Informational, Alex Louis, assistant director for the Center for Leadership and Service, as well as the Greek Life Specialists and representatives from the Greek Senate spoke on how they want to take this KDM to the next level.

Louis gave the attendees a pep talk to get them excited for the upcoming event.

He said, "We have to go to the next level. We need your help to get to the next level. I know we can do it. I know we will do it."

A slideshow was presented to the sisters and brothers of the on-campus Greek organizations giving a background on the event for those that are new. It also included information to help the members raise money for the event.

One of the suggestions that the attendees were given was to reach out to alumni to donate to the event, as they know that the proceeds of KDM go to such an important cause. Also, tips were given on how to utilize mobile payment methods, such as apps like Venmo, CashApp and PayPal.

Also included in the presentation were dates for other events that are going to transpire in the upcoming spring semester in which the proceeds will benefit KDM.

KDM Color Run 2019
Last year's KDM Color Run.

For example, last year was the first annual KDM Color Run, in which attendees ran through campus and had color powder dusted over them. They raised $3,200 in the first year at the Color Run alone and are only aiming to make this event even more successful.

Another event to support KDM will be the KDM Tricky Tray, which is the first time that this event will transpire. It will include raffle baskets and donations. This will take place on Feb. 7 in Downs Hall, and the Greek Senate is very excited to host this for the first time.

Through all of these efforts, the Greek Senate aims to make this upcoming KDM the best one yet!

Sheehan Shannon - web

Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer
sheehsha@kean.edu

Shannon Sheeehan is a Junior Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Marketing. She joined The Cougar's Byte staff in Spring 2018. After her time at Kean, Shannon hopes to start her professional career in Public Relations and/or Social Media.