It's The Year of The Rat!

Students got a taste of Asian Culture at this year's Lunar New Year celebration

Campus Life > It's The Year of The Rat!
It's The Year of The Rat!
Kean Students started the Lunar New Year with a blast!
Justin Kanski, Staff Writer

It is the dawn of a new year. On Thursday, Jan. 23, Student Organization and the Asian Studies Program hosted the Lunar New Year Celebration that officially kicked off the Year of the Rat. For attendees there was food, prizes and performances. All attendees enjoyed the event while also learning new and fascinating discoveries about Asian culture.

Lunar New Year 2020
The Kean Cougar joins in on the fun with a quick photo-shoot.

Every year, Student Organization teams up with the Asian Studies program to help put on an event that recognizes the Lunar New Year. The Lunar New Year celebration was held in the Miron Student Center (MSC) Atrium that was decorated in a sea of red where guests got a chance to take part in the annual tradition. This is one of the most important holidays in Asian culture as it honors one's ancestors.

Once students checked in with their event pass, they were given tickets which could be used for food and activities that were going on. At one table, students were served either pork or vegetable dumplings. Traditionally, dumplings are a very important food. Another table had an activity in which guests had to answer a riddle to win some Lunar New Year-inspired Kean Swag. Other stations included making your own bubble tea and a photo booth where students and guests could take a picture against a back drop of cherry-blossom trees.

While students and guests were getting familiar with tables that were there, a performance stampeded onto the scene all done by professional Chinese performers which had the entire MSC Atrium in awe. The performance was composed of dancers, drummers and two dragons, which are considered good luck in Chinese culture as they are presented as guardians against all that is evil.

Lunar New Year 2020
Class of 2021 President Lindsey Gonzalez helped check-in students and made sure they had fun at the festival.

"We hosted this event with the Wenzhou-Kean students to share the culture and to be able to be in union within the same environment all while promoting diversity. Student Government and P.U.L.S.E. (Programming for Unique and Lively Student Experience) wanted to end this year with a big bang. We want to have a better chance of reaching out to the students and being able to have a great time with them while showing that Kean University has something to offer them for the future," said Lindsey Gonzalez, President of the Student Organization Class of 2021.

Information tables were also held to learn more about the Asian Studies program offered to undergraduate students as well as any other helpful information like studying abroad at the Wenzhou-Kean campus in China.

Learn more about these opportunities on the Kean website and to learn about the future events that are coming up, be sure to follow Student Government on Instagram @keanstudentgov and also check out Cougar Link for further information.

Justin Kanski - web

Justin Kanski, Staff Writer
kanskij@kean.edu

Justin Kanski is a senior majoring in Communication with a focus on Media/Film and a minor in Health Relations. A Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte, Justin is also a part of Kean TV and WKNJ 90.3 Cougar Radio as the host of J Money Jams. He is a member of the Leadership Institute Platinum Level and has served as a New Student Orientation Leader for the past two years. Justin’s favorite shows are “Power” and "Cobra Kai" while his favorite movies are anything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He also loves listening to Hip-Hop music. Whether it be in front of the camera or behind it, Justin aspires to be a media mogul.