L.E.A.D. By Example

An overview of the Leadership Institute's leadership program and how to join

Features > L.E.A.D. By Example
L.E.A.D. By Example
L.E.A.D. Students at the 2019 Leadership Dinner.
Justin Kanski, Staff Writer

Leadership is more than just a title or a position in an organization. It is about actions and how people influence others to become the best version of themselves. The Leadership Institute offers a platform through the Center for Leadership and Service where students can practice their leadership skills and work well with their fellow peers. The Leadership Institute offers a program called L.E.A.D. (Leadership Education and Development) where students can earn all the benefits of the Leadership Institute in just seven weeks.

L.E.A.D. is a program where students engage in activities and workshops that further enhance their leadership skills. L.E.A.D. is held during each Spring semester of the academic year. Each workshop consists of leadership discussions, games and lectures which are all created to develop the well rounded and organizational leader deep within. Before each workshop begins, students in L.E.A.D. are allowed the opportunity to mingle and network with one another at a dinner to get to know each other better.

Following the dinner, the workshops and activities will range from week to week during the entire seven week period of the program. Another benefit of this program is not only that students can network with one another making life lasting friendships just as in the Leadership Institute, they also get the good fortune of working with fellow peers to plan a service project for both the Kean community and the outside world. Students will get to demonstrate the skills they have learned during the seven week training period while working with their fellow leaders. Students will also get to plan out the entire project and have full creative control on how the service project is fully executed.

The Leadership Institute is focused on approaching values through group collaboration, and processes that result in a positive change in both an individual and groups as a whole. This is done though a social change model which establishes the seven C's including:

• Conscious of self
  • Congruence
  • Commitment
  • Collaboration
  • Common Purpose
  • Controversy with Civility
  • Citizenship

All Kean University undergraduate students who have completed at least 18 credits completed are highly encouraged to apply. The program is also open to current graduate students as well. Any prior leadership experience is not necessary to participate in the program. The only requirement for all applicants is to have a desire to make a positive change to all of their organizations and in the general community.

Priority applications for L.E.A.D. are due online on Cougar Link by Friday, Jan. 24. Additional applications will still be accepted for late submission if space is available by Friday, Feb. 1. If an applicant has any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the Leadership Institute by phone at (908) 737-5170 or by email at leadershipinstitute@kean.edu.

Justin Kanski - web

Justin Kanski, Staff Writer
kanskij@kean.edu

Justin Kanski is a senior majoring in Communication with a focus on Media/Film and a minor in Health Relations. A Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte, Justin is also a part of Kean TV and WKNJ 90.3 Cougar Radio as the host of J Money Jams. He is a member of the Leadership Institute Platinum Level and has served as a New Student Orientation Leader for the past two years. Justin’s favorite shows are “Power” and "Cobra Kai" while his favorite movies are anything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He also loves listening to Hip-Hop music. Whether it be in front of the camera or behind it, Justin aspires to be a media mogul.