New Cougars on Campus

Incoming Freshmen attended New Student Orientation and learned what it means to be a Kean Cougar

Campus Life > New Cougars on Campus
New Cougars on Campus
Students were welcomed to campus with Kean gear so that they can show their Cougar Pride.
Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer

The Spring 2020 session of New Student Orientation (NSO) was held Jan. 9. Incoming freshman came to campus to learn all about what Kean has to offer. Through NSO, students acquire a plethora of Kean knowledge, including information on academics, involvement and the resources available to them, all while getting comfortable on campus and meeting their peers. The program is a great step to get students excited and ready to start their Kean collegiate career.

The day began at 11:30 a.m. when the students arrived at the North Avenue Academic Building (NAAB) for check-in and lunch. The students mingled and got to know their Orientation Leaders, which are upperclassmen that help guide the students through the orientation process, as well as offer their Kean knowledge. During this time, students that had not yet done their advisement and registration for the upcoming semester were able to do so.

Spring New Student Orientation
Students and Orientation Leaders mingled throughout the day.

After the students got to know each other, the first presentation of the day began. The Vice President of Academic Affairs, Suzanne Bousquet, Ph.D., led the University Welcome, in which she greeted the students and gave them a glimpse of what it is like to be a Kean student.

Bousquet said, "We want you to maximize the time here to be able to take advantage of all of the opportunities that we provide you. We want you to find a future that you love, and that's what we're here for."

Following the University Welcome was a presentation from a representative from the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct. Here, students learned about Kean's community values, which include integrity, community, fairness, respect and responsibility, and why these values are important to exhibit through their time at Kean and beyond. In this workshop, students also became educated on the Kean University Code of Conduct, to ensure that they know the rules that they must abide by.

At NSO, the incoming students were also able to get Kean Student ID's, which is a necessity for all students. 

Spring New Student Orientation
The Orientation Leaders shared their Kean knowledge with the incoming freshmen.

The next activity was the Student 2 Student Q&A, which was led by the Orientation Leaders. The presentation served as a question and answer session with incoming and current students. New students felt more comfortable asking questions to their peers. This was a great way for the attendees to get to know about a multitude of topics, from student involvement, commuting and living on campus to preparing for classes, taking attendance and much more.

There were more workshops throughout the day, including one on Involvement. The students were educated about the Involvement Center and the various student groups and organization options. They learned the benefits of getting involved on campus, and how it can positively impact their time at Kean.

The attendees also learned about how to get a job on and off campus from representatives from Career Services. This office also helps students get internships, as well as build their resume. A representative for International Studies also came to discuss study abroad options for students, such as spending a semester at Wenzhou-Kean. Attendees also learned about the resources available to them in the Nancy Thompson Library Learning Commons, such as the Tutoring Center, Writing Center, Public Speaking Lab and more.

The event wrapped up with a fun Family Feud game that the attendees participated in. Overall, the students got a great understanding of what it means to be apart of the Kean community and how to make the most of their time at Kean.

Sheehan Shannon - web

Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer
sheehsha@kean.edu

Shannon Sheeehan is a Junior Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Marketing. She joined The Cougar's Byte staff in Spring 2018. After her time at Kean, Shannon hopes to start her professional career in Public Relations and/or Social Media.