Delta Phi Epsilon: ANAD Week

The sisters of Delta Phi Epsilon will partake in ANAD Week

Campus News > Delta Phi Epsilon: ANAD Week
Delta Phi Epsilon: ANAD Week
In support of those suffering from an eating disorder, Delta Phi Epsilon will be hosting numerous events around campus to bring awareness to the cause.
Khali Raymond, Staff Writer

From Feb. 24 to Feb. 28, Delta Phi Epsilon will be hosting a series of events for ANAD Week to bring awareness and understanding for those that are suffering from an eating disorder.

The National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD) is a nonprofit organization that specializes in the areas of support, awareness, advocacy, referral, education and prevention of eating disorders.

The organization also provides statistics about how common they are:

There are at least 30 million people of all ages, backgrounds and genders suffering from an eating disorder in the United States. Of all mental illnesses, eating disorders have the highest mortality rate. Every 62 minutes someone dies because of one.

ANAD is the oldest organization in the United States which fights these disorders. It also provides resources for those who are struggling with one. ANAD's mission is to alleviate suffering and provide support to those struggling with eating disorders.

The organization is committed to providing free, accessible services for everyone while demonstrating openness and respecting every part of the eating disorder recovery journey.

Starting on Monday, Feb. 24, Delta Phi Epsilon will be having No Makeup Monday in the Miron Student Center Atrium from 3 to 4:30 p.m.

This is a tabling event that will celebrate everyone's natural beauty by taking pictures with props that will be provided and posting them to Instagram to increase awareness for eating disorders. Visitors will also have the opportunity to learn more about ANAD.

On Tuesday, Feb. 25 the sorority will be hosting Break the Scale that will nullify insecurities about weight by trashing scales and empowering those who visit the table.

Better than Barbie will be on Wednesday, Feb. 26. Students will be able to write down what they love about themselves and put it up on the sorority's tapestry.

Take What You Need takes place on Thursday, Feb. 27. Students can come pick up and uplifting post-it from the table to boost their spirits. They'll also have the ability to write encouraging messages for others to take.

Trash Your Insecurities is the fifth and final event of ANAD Week taking place on Friday, Feb. 28 where students will have the opportunity to throw their insecurities into Delta Phi Epsilon's trashcan.

Delta Phi Epsilon is committed to developing social consciousness and goodwill in women by providing a sisterhood experience filled with tradition and innovation along with the opportunities for growth.

For more information about the sorority, students can visit their website or their Cougar Link. They can be reached via phone at (908) 514-7324 and email at dphie@kean.edu.

Khali Raymond, Staff Writer
raymonkh@kean.edu

Raymond_Khali-web.jpg

Khali Raymond is a senior majoring in English with a writing concentration. He attained his associate's in business administration from Berkeley College - Newark in 2019. In addition to his work as a staff writer, he is also a published author, spoken word artist, musician, activist and is the president of Kean Got Talent, a performing arts club on campus. Khali uses his creativity to overcome all adversity and impact the lives of those around him.