Get Them to The Greeks

Students who recently crossed into Greek Life describe their experience since crossing

Features > Get Them to The Greeks
Get Them to The Greeks
Students cross into Greek Organizations nearly every semester, thus continuing long histories of brother/sisterhood and promoting activism, unity and philanthropy.
Justin Kanski, Staff Writer

Greek Life is a great way to become more involved on campus to establish better connections at Kean like no other. Kean University is home to 15 fraternities, 15 Sororities, and 1 Co-Ed organization which have something for all interests. Students who have had the chance to successfully cross into their respected organizations have nothing but positive things to say about their entire experience as well as what to look forward to in the future.

Amanda Lopez, a senior at Kean that crossed into her sorority, Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority Inc. in Fall 2019, is now the public relations chair for her organization and reflected on how joining made a huge impact in her life and college career.

"After joining my organization I feel like I am just more confident in myself. I find myself prioritizing community service and my grades. Overall I am more driven to do anything I set my mind to," said Lopez.

Lopez explained that she was pretty involved on campus but felt like there was something missing from her life and found that joining Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. was that missing piece.

Joining a Greek organization is definitely a great way to increase one's involvement at Kean. Greek Life gives members new opportunities to participate in community service, increase their networking skills, as well as put them in leadership positions giving them a new perspective of themselves and the organization as a whole.

Kyara Coronado, sister of Omega Sigma Psi as well as the historian and PR chair, crossed in the Spring 2019 semester and said that joining her organization helped bring her out of her comfort zone and helped her in finding her forever family.

"I was very shy and to myself. I would literally just go to class and leave. After joining Omega Sigma Psi, I know a lot more people plus I'm now more outgoing than I was before. Joining Greek Life also helped me bring up my grades increasing my GPA plus I met a diverse group of sisters who changed my life completely," said Coronado.

When coming to college as either a freshman, transfer or a student who decided to hold off on joining later on in one's college career, students might be a little hesitant on taking that step to become a member in Greek Life due to what they may see in either movies or posts on social media. Kean students who have crossed recently or have been in an organization for a certain amount of time would like those who are interested to know that joining Greek life is not what is necessarily depicted in the media. Kean University fraternities and sororities would like perspective candidates to seek out organizations to see what they have to offer and learn more about them.

Greek Life is not for everyone but students are highly encouraged to attend events such as Meet the Greeks presented by the Greek Senate to network with the various groups that have tables while witnessing a night of fun filled entertainment.

Ready to take that next step? For any more information regarding Greek life and the guidelines for joining, please refer to Kean University's official Greek Life page regarding any policies as well as for a list of currently recognized chapters that are available. For additional information regarding Greek life, feel free to contact the Center for Leadership and Service at (908) 737-5170 or email greeks@kean.edu

Justin Kanski - web

Justin Kanski, Staff Writer
kanskij@kean.edu

Justin Kanski is a senior majoring in Communication with a focus on Media/Film and a minor in Health Relations. A Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte, Justin is also a part of Kean TV and WKNJ 90.3 Cougar Radio as the host of J Money Jams. He is a member of the Leadership Institute Platinum Level and has served as a New Student Orientation Leader for the past two years. Justin’s favorite shows are “Power” and "Cobra Kai" while his favorite movies are anything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He also loves listening to Hip-Hop music. Whether it be in front of the camera or behind it, Justin aspires to be a media mogul.