LTA The Candy Way

Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority Inc. hosted a Candy Gram event just in time for Valentine's Day

Campus Life > LTA The Candy Way
LTA The Candy Way
Sisters of Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority Inc. spreading the love this Valentine's season
Justin Kanski, Staff Writer

Love is in the air in the Valentine's Day season, and finding a gift for that special someone can be challenging, especially if it is last minute. On Wednesday, Feb. 12th, the ladies of Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority Inc. (LTA) hosted a Candy Gram event in the Miron Student Center (MSC) Atrium. They hosted this event to offer gift ideas to anyone still searching. There were many sweets to choose from, such as white and dark chocolate-covered strawberries. Everything was offered by donation, to help raise money for their philanthropy as well as the Children's Specialized Hospital.

Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority Inc. Candy Gram

Established at Kean University, with chapter expanding all across the United States and Puerto Rico, Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority Inc. is a sorority dedicated to giving back to the community through their many national philanthropies, such as for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, for example. Through events like this, the sorority helps to make a change in the community leading up to this year's Kean Dance Marathon, which takes place on April 17th.

Back in 2010, Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority Inc. officially became a collegiate partner with St. Jude's, and is the first and only Latino Greek organization to commit to the hospital's efforts. In their involvement, the sorority helps to bring awareness to childhood cancer, life-threatening diseases, St. Jude within the Latino community, and helps the hospital through a variety of events and programs. Ever since 2014, Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority Inc. expanded their partnership with St. Jude, making themselves official partners of the annual St. Jude Walk/Run to End Cancer event. This walk brings together many different communities across the country during Childhood Cancer Awareness Month in order to raise money for the hospital.

Public Relations and Fundraising chair, Amanda Lopez, says that, in addition to raising money for their national philanthropies, the Kean University chapter also raises money for a local philanthropy called Aspire High.

"Aspire High is a nonprofit organization that was established by one of our sisters from our chapter, who crossed back in 1994. After crossing, she created this beautiful program to help children in high school and middle school who come from low-income or single-parent households, and we just provide them with leadership and educational skills...as well as motivate them to go to college. We are essentially role models and mentors to these kids, and inspire them," said Lopez.

Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority Inc. Candy Grams

Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority Inc. will host a few more events this semester and beyond to raise money for their philanthropic efforts. The Kean community can continue to support them by attending their chapter events here at Kean, as listed on Cougar Link. For more about Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority Inc., be sure to visit their official, national website at www.lambdalady.org to learn what it means to be a Lambda Lady.

Justin Kanski - web

Justin Kanski, Staff Writer
kanskij@kean.edu

Justin Kanski is a senior majoring in Communication with a focus on Media/Film and a minor in Health Relations. A Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte, Justin is also a part of Kean TV and WKNJ 90.3 Cougar Radio as the host of J Money Jams. He is a member of the Leadership Institute Platinum Level and has served as a New Student Orientation Leader for the past two years. Justin’s favorite shows are “Power” and "Cobra Kai" while his favorite movies are anything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He also loves listening to Hip-Hop music. Whether it be in front of the camera or behind it, Justin aspires to be a media mogul.