One Billion Rising

Putting an end to mass violence against women across the globe

Campus Life > One Billion Rising
One Billion Rising
The Center for Leadership and Service set up a table in the Center for Academic Success Lobby, supporting the campaign for ending violence against women and girls globally.
Khali Raymond, Staff Writer

On Friday, Feb. 14, the Center for Leadership and Service held a tabling event in the Center for Academic Success (CAS) lobby called One Billion Rising, an initiative with the mission to end acts of violence against women.

One Billion Rising is a campaign that was launched on Valentine's Day 2012, as a call to action against the statistic that 1 and 3 women globally will either be physically or sexually assaulted in their lifetime - that's more than a billion women and girls.

This is considered the largest mass action to end violence against women. The Kean community continues the fight through the celebration of female triumph and the resistance of abuse.

One Billion Rising 2

Students who visited the table had the opportunity to learn more about the campaign, and were welcomed to take brochures which contained resources for help, if someone they knew was a victim of domestic violence.

A backdrop was also provided for visitors to take photos and share on social media, and guests signed a poster in support of the One Billion Rising campaign, affirming their pledge to fight for women's justice.

If they fancied, students were able to spin a wheel for prizes, such as lollipops and other assorted candies.

"I honestly feel that this table had good information, because a lot of people do not know about domestic violence," said Priscilla Asencio, a freshman.

One Billion Rising 5

Asencio felt that more awareness should be brought to domestic violence so that everyone can fight against it.

Violence, no matter the type, has a dramatic effect on a woman's physical, mental, emotional and psychological health.

In the United States, 24 people per minute become victims of sexual assault, physical violence or stalking by a romantic partner.

Females ages 18 to 24 and 25 to 34 experience the highest rates of intimate partner violence.

Nearly 1 and 5 women (18.3 percent) in the U.S. have been sexually assaulted in their lifetime. 27 percent of women have reported they were targets of unwanted sexual contact.

Crimes of abuse create terrible costs in every way. Rape is said to cost the United States more than any other crime, amassing $127 billion in expenses annually. 81% of women experience short or long-term impacts, such as PTSD, because of it.

One Billion Rising 1

"The One Billion Rising tabling brings awareness, and that's what we need," said Davon Kennedy, a senior. "In order to stand up and fight for something, one must be aware that it exists."

Resources are available for those experiencing any form of domestic violence or abuse.

Kean offers counseling services, which are free for any current student or staff member.

The Office of Counseling, Disability, Alcohol and other Drug Services is located in Downs Hall, Room 127, which is open Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. All records are kept private and confidential.

Appointments can be made in person or by phone at (908) 737-4850. There are a number of hotlines which can be called for further assistance, outside of the center's hours.

The Union County Domestic Violence Hotline can be called at (908) 355-4357, along with the New Jersey Coalition Against Sexual Assault at 1-800 -601-7200. Trinitas Hospital also has a 24-hour hotline at (908) 351-6684.

Khali Raymond, Staff Writer
raymonkh@kean.edu

Raymond_Khali-web.jpg

Khali Raymond is a senior majoring in English with a writing concentration. He attained his associate's in business administration from Berkeley College - Newark in 2019. In addition to his work as a staff writer, he is also a published author, spoken word artist, musician, activist and is the president of Kean Got Talent, a performing arts club on campus. Khali uses his creativity to overcome all adversity and impact the lives of those around him.