Shooting for Fashion

Point and Shoot held an interest meeting about its upcoming fashion show

Campus Life > Shooting for Fashion
Shooting for Fashion
The Point and Shoot Photography Club held an interest meeting to find participants for its upcoming fashion show.
Khali Raymond, Staff Writer

On Thursday, Feb. 13, the Point and Shoot Photography Club held a Fashion Show Info meeting to see how many people were interested in participating in their future fashion show so they could make the necessary preparations to get everything ready.

Enthusiastic students filled the classroom to learn more about what Point and Shoot intends to do with the fashion show they are planning to have at some point during the semester. Those who were interested in modeling and fashion were welcome to come out.

Point and Shoot 2

"We want it to happen in April," said Essence Henderson, vice president of the Point and Shoot club.

Henderson feels that if the fashion show doesn't happen this semester, there is another opportunity for it to take place the following semester.

"I'm aiming for September since I still want it to be warm and that's when people are willing to go out," she continued.

Henderson wants this fashion show to give creative students on campus the spotlight.

"This will bring together everyone here on campus such as photographers, designers, videographers and models. It would be a great networking experience to meet all these people," said Henderson.

Henderson believes that Point and Shoot will unite the Kean community.

"This club will bring people together and have them connect with each other because I go to events outside of campus where I meet creatives and we collaborate and promote one another," she said.

Point and Shoot 1
`

Henderson continued to delve into why she feels that getting other creatives together is important.

"I felt privileged in that sense because there are people I know here at school who are doing their own thing and they don't know each other or do not have the outlet they need to put their work out there," said Henderson.

A fashion show would be a great opportunity to bring like-minded individuals together who are into design or some kind of creative outlet.

Fashion shows have an interesting history which dates back to the 1860's. There was an English fashion designer named Charles Frederick Worth who used live models to present his clothing instead of mannequins.

Many consider Worth to be the father of "haute couture," which is high-end fashion produced by leading fashion houses. Haute couture is handcrafted from start to finish with only the most high-quality materials being used.

At the turn of the twentieth century, there were "fashion parades" appearing in Paris and New York. From there on, fashion shows would continue to evolve with theatrical elements being utilized in the presentations.

Point and Shoot aims to promote creativity through photography. The goal of the club is to spread the love of photography throughout the Kean community. For more information about the club, students can check out their Cougar Link.

For any questions, comments, or concerns, Point and Shoot can be reached via email at photoclub@kean.edu.

Khali Raymond, Staff Writer
raymonkh@kean.edu

Raymond_Khali-web.jpg

Khali Raymond is a senior majoring in English with a writing concentration. He attained his associate's in business administration from Berkeley College - Newark in 2019. In addition to his work as a staff writer, he is also a published author, spoken word artist, musician, activist and is the president of Kean Got Talent, a performing arts club on campus. Khali uses his creativity to overcome all adversity and impact the lives of those around him.