Career Services: Monthly Workshop Series

Career Services hosted its second monthly workshop to highlight the services the office has for Kean students

Campus Life > Career Services: Monthly Workshop Series
Career Services hosted its second monthly workshop for students that are seeking internships.
Khali Raymond, Staff Writer

On March 5, Career Services hosted its second monthly workshop to highlight the services the office has for Kean students by discussing College Central, internships, resume preparation and cover letter writing. The workshop was held in the Center for Academic Success (CAS), Room 106.

Career Workshop 1

Students were invited to learn more about the opportunities available to them in furthering their professional careers through an interactive presentation with slides giving information about the benefits of an internship.

They were informed of how to write resumes and prepare cover letters to help them stand out when applying for an employment or internship opportunity.

Information about College Central was also presented. College Central is a portal that is available to all Kean students, faculty and alumni seeking job and internship opportunities as well as employers looking to recruit at the college.The service is available for free and can be accessed at any time.

"This is our first series of monthly workshops highlighting the services that we provide," said Laureen Delance, managing assistant director of internships at Career Services. "Our goal is to expose the community to what the office offers."

Delance elaborated on the areas that Career Services touched base on.

"The areas we wanted to focus on included educating students on College Central and about internships while giving them a sneak peek into resume and cover letter writing," she continued. "It was a great introduction in exposing students to the resources and services that are available as it relates to finding internships."

Career Workshop 3

Part of Delance's mission is to ensure that students are making use of College Central.

"At the end of the day, Career Services wants to make sure that students are equipped with the proper tools for them to go on and use the portal to look for internships while feeling comfortable doing so to get started on this journey of securing an internship and, subsequently, a career," Delance explained.

Internships are a wonderful opportunity for a student to gain a sense of the field they are going into.

63 percent of graduating seniors have completed at least one internship. 7 out of 10 interns are offered full-time positions. The benefits that an internship provides are endless but a few are as follows:

• College credits
  • Proper career direction
  • Hands-on experience in a particular field
  • A valuable skill set
  • Strong references
  • A peek into a desired profession
  • An impressive resume

Career Services has fostered relationships with many different companies such as Shopterra, Johnson & Johnson, Frontline Arts, ESPN, MLB, YMCA, NJ Transit and RWJBarnabas along with many more.

It assists students in the preparation of the ever-changing job market through its personalized services. Career Services aims to empower students at each stage of their career development from the time they begin to graduation.

Career Services is located in the CAS, Room 201. For questions, comments or concerns, they are reachable via phone at (908) 737-0320 and email at career@kean.edu.

Khali Raymond, Staff Writer
raymonkh@kean.edu

Raymond_Khali-web.jpg

Khali Raymond is a senior majoring in English with a writing concentration. He attained his associate's in business administration from Berkeley College - Newark in 2019. In addition to his work as a staff writer, he is also a published author, spoken word artist, musician, activist and is the president of Kean Got Talent, a performing arts club on campus. Khali uses his creativity to overcome all adversity and impact the lives of those around him.