Hennings' Gift to Kean

Retired Kean professor makes a historic donation

Campus News > Hennings' Gift to Kean
Hennings' Gift to Kean
President Dawood Farahi, Ph.D. and Dorothy Hennings, Ed.D. at the Board of Trustees meeting on March 9th.
Justin Kanski, Staff Writer

On Monday, March 9, Kean University recently received one of the largest donations from Professor Emerita Dorothy Grant Hennings, Ed.D.' H10. The gift will help fund a scholarship which will be named in honor of her late husband and biology Professor Emeritus George Hennings, Ed.D.' H10 to support students that are studying in the science and science education fields. The contribution will also include the Centennial Fund Opportunity Scholarship which is open to high achieving, low income students from all majors.

During her time at Kean, Professor Dorothy Hennings taught in the the Department of Instruction, Curriculum and Administration from 1965 until her retirement in 2001. Her husband, George Hennings, taught in the Department of Biology from 1960 until his retirement in 1987. The two served as members of the Kean University Foundation Board of Directors as well as authored two books together.

After their retirement from Kean, the Hennings traveled the world and visited all of the seven continents. Wherever they went, they always took a picture of themselves holding a Kean tote bag promoting the university to everyone on their journey. The two received honorary degrees from Kean back in 2010 and were also rewarded with the inaugural William Livingston Award in 2013 for their continuous contributions in the promotion of excellence in education, solid business values, and outstanding public service to enhance and build a better society.

In honor of this extraordinary contribution from these distinguished professors, Kean plans on changing a few names to some of the buildings on campus. The science college will be renamed the Dorothy and George Hennings College of Science, Mathematics, and Technology. Kean Science Building will now be known as the George Hennings Hall in honor of the late professor. Another notable change in that building will be Room 128. It will now have a signage to let visitors know that it was George Hennings' office while he was working at Kean. The newly constructed science wing which is currently under construction will be known has George Hennings Research when it officially opens up for students.

Another change to the university from this gift will be with the current Hennings Hall. The hall which is home to the College of Education will be renamed the Dorothy Grant Hennings Hall in honor of Professor Dorothy Hennings, Ed.D. Due to their devotion for each other and for Kean, the walkway that connects the newly renamed buildings will be renamed Dorothy and George Way.

During a meeting with the Kean Board of Trustees back in March 9, the decision was made to approve the new resolution and thank Dorothy Hennings as well as rename the buildings. Dorothy Hennings was present at the meeting and was extremely honored, offering her own thanks to Kean the chance to continue the legacy of both her and her late husband.

This decision plans to be one for the books and it will greatly benefit students that want to become well-rounded individuals that give back to the community. Both Dorothy Hennings and her husband George Hennings represent what is best of Kean's legacy, paving the way for generations to come.

Justin Kanski - web

Justin Kanski, Staff Writer
kanskij@kean.edu

Justin Kanski is a senior majoring in Communication with a focus on Media/Film and a minor in Health Relations. A Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte, Justin is also a part of Kean TV and WKNJ 90.3 Cougar Radio as the host of J Money Jams. He is a member of the Leadership Institute Platinum Level and has served as a New Student Orientation Leader for the past two years. Justin’s favorite shows are “Power” and "Cobra Kai" while his favorite movies are anything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He also loves listening to Hip-Hop music. Whether it be in front of the camera or behind it, Justin aspires to be a media mogul.