Lesniak Leadership Living

Get to know the Lesniak Institute, located at Kean University

Campus Life > Lesniak Leadership Living
Lesniak Leadership Living
The Lesniak Institute shared about their organization at this past Kean Day.
Justin Kanski, Staff Writer

The Lesniak Institute for American Leadership is a non-profit organization dedicated to developing future generations of leadership. The Lesniak Institute is an organization that teaches the principles of effective advocacy, by offering first-hand experience through their causes and partnering with many grassroots organizations to complete its mission for a better tomorrow.

The Institute was founded by Raymond J. Lesniak, a former New Jersey State Senator. Lesniak wanted to create an institution that teaches its members action-driven advocacy for the community and the world beyond. It was founded in January 2018, with their first headquarters located in the S.T.E.M. building at Kean University.

The Institute has partnerships with organizations such as Toys for Hospitalized Children, Save Nosey Now, Stand Up For The Other, the Animal Welfare Federation of New Jersey, Prevention Links, and Momma Meow Kit Kats, Inc. Anyone is welcome to participate and give back to these organizations by visiting the official Lesniak Institute's partnership page on their website. The Institute also promotes known social issues, such as animal welfare, criminal justice, environmental justice and social justice.

The Selena Lesniak Fund was also created through the Institute, in honor of Lesniak's late wife. She was passionate about everything the Institute stands for, and they ask for visitors to extend her legacy by contributing to their dedicated causes.

The organization has also established different fundraisers through the Selena Lesniak Fund, to help raise money for causes in need. One such fundraiser is Operation Santa, an event that helps provide underprivileged children in Union County with gifts and treats for the holidays.

There are many other ways to get involved with the Lesniak Institute. Visitors can donate to other various fundraisers, volunteer for the different causes the institute supports, register to vote for an upcoming election and even have the chance to apply for an internship, which is especially beneficial for Kean students.

There is also a course offered by Kean, through the Lesniak Institute, taught by Raymond Lesniak himself. The independent study in history course titled, "Social Movements: History and the Call to Action," details major social social movements and campaigns in today's society from a historical perspective. The course also offers a hands-on learning experience that will help them examine the intersections of leadership which shed light on the successes of social justice. The course even offers many opportunities to gain real-world experience with field trips and many guest speakers.

One can also watch the Senator Ray Show on the website or on Youtube, where Senator Lesniak interviews guests from across New Jersey about causes that are extremely important to the Institute.

For more information about the Lesniak Institute for American Leadership, visit their official website. Contact them at info@lesinakinstitute.com or call (908) 737-7249 to learn about making a difference in both the community and the world.

Justin Kanski - web

Justin Kanski, Staff Writer
kanskij@kean.edu

Justin Kanski is a senior majoring in Communication with a focus on Media/Film and a minor in Health Relations. A Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte, Justin is also a part of Kean TV and WKNJ 90.3 Cougar Radio as the host of J Money Jams. He is a member of the Leadership Institute Platinum Level and has served as a New Student Orientation Leader for the past two years. Justin’s favorite shows are “Power” and "Cobra Kai" while his favorite movies are anything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He also loves listening to Hip-Hop music. Whether it be in front of the camera or behind it, Justin aspires to be a media mogul.