Health Is Wealth

Tips and tricks for working out in the comfort of home

Campus Life > Health Is Wealth
Health Is Wealth
Having a workout schedule can help reduce stress and ease tension while also promoting better health.
Photo provided by Pexels.com
Justin Kanski, Staff Writer

It is time to get up and get active. Having the balance between going to classes remotely and promoting physical exercise can be challenging. With the recent transition to remote education, there are many different tips and tricks to help maintain a normal workout routine. These tips and tricks are here to ensure students are getting the benefits of a healthy lifestyle from the comfort of their own home instead of sitting on the couch all day binge-watching Netflix.

First things first, in order to avoid distractions, it is important to create a designated workout space like a personal gym. A space can help people feel like they are in control of their own workouts. Having this little space can also help with better organization skills for both the workouts one may do for the day as well as improve their daily routines. Wearing workout clothes instead of pajamas also helps with creating that gym atmosphere and motivation to continue workout routines.

There are many different workouts students can do from their house. Some of these workouts can range from simple planking, push ups, and sit-ups for example. It is always important to plan out workouts for the entire week whether students are a fitness pro or just starting out. On one day, one might focus more on exercises relating to the upper body. On other days, they may focus more on certain calisthenics such as legs or arms. For more workout recommendations or tutorials, YouTube has an online library for thousands of videos from professional trainers and fitness instructors to add variety to one's workout routines. Students can always opt to do small yoga sessions as well if strength training is not really for them.

Always remember to warm up before starting or finishing a workout. Studies have shown that if people do not stretch before or after a workout, it could lead to possible health complications that are hard to ignore. Such complications can include:

• Increased muscle tightness
  • Decreased performance
  • Increased risk of injury
  • Poor oxygen circulation
  • Muscle degeneration

Another great tip to follow is to play some music. Just like students who may be studying for an exam or want to motivate themselves throughout the day, music is a great way to let out all of the built up tension inside of them. Plus, finding the right song to workout to is an added bonus. Try creating a playlist on a phone or computer and have it nearby for easy access.

Working out with friends is another way to promote a positive workout routine. Even though a friend is unable to visit in person, platforms such as Google Meet, Zoom, Skype, and FaceTime are excellent ways to stay connected.

Make sure workout schedules are consistent and done in a routine. Some of the greatest fitness professionals did not complete their journeys overnight. The human body needs time to rest especially after working out a certain part, like the arms for example. Consistent exercise can help reduce stress as well as improve mental health. Exercise releases endorphins that can help increase positivity in one's day depending on the time they workout whether it be in the morning, afternoon, or late hours into the evening.

One final tip to note is to always remember to stay hydrated. The human body needs water in order to survive and it is necessary for better performances in workouts. Common health guidelines say that it is recommended to drink at least eight glasses of water per day in order to stay active. Drinking water also has many other health benefits including but not limited to:

• Regulating body temperature
  • Lubricating muscle joints
  • Boosting skin health
  • Maintaining blood pressure
  • Encouraging weight loss
  • Cushioning the brain and other tissues
  • Delivering oxygen throughout the body

These are just some of the many different tips and tricks to help promote physical fitness for students during the recent change to remote online education. For more tips and tricks, be sure to visit online sources such as the Center for Disease Control and Prevention as well as the National Institutes of Health for more information.

Justin Kanski - web

Justin Kanski, Staff Writer
kanskij@kean.edu

Justin Kanski is a senior majoring in Communication with a focus on Media/Film and a minor in Health Relations. A Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte, Justin is also a part of Kean TV and WKNJ 90.3 Cougar Radio as the host of J Money Jams. He is a member of the Leadership Institute Platinum Level and has served as a New Student Orientation Leader for the past two years. Justin’s favorite shows are “Power” and "Cobra Kai" while his favorite movies are anything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He also loves listening to Hip-Hop music. Whether it be in front of the camera or behind it, Justin aspires to be a media mogul.