Select To Elect

Student government elections will be held from April 13 to April 16

Campus News > Select To Elect
Select To Elect
Student Organization elections will be held from 9 a.m. Monday, April 13, to 2 p.m. Thursday, April 16, 2020
Justin Kanski, Staff Writer

It's election time! Student Government elections for the 2020-2021 academic year are officially underway. This year's elections will take place from Monday, April 13, at 9 a.m. to Thursday, April 16, at 2 p.m. for both Student Organization and the Graduate and Part-Time Student Council on Cougar Link.

The Office of Student Government is the backbone of the Kean community. Student Government is composed of the Student Organization (Student Org.), the full time undergraduate governing body, and the Graduate and Part-Time Student Council (GPSC) boards. These boards represent the student population and act as a voice for them regarding decisions made by the university.

In addition to being the voice of the students, these boards host a variety of events, both on and off campus, that contribute social, academic, professional and cultural growth in the student body, and provide funding to over 20 recognized groups on campus, increasing involvement and programming.

The Student Organization of Kean aims to enhance the cultural, intellectual and personal growth of those who represent the full-time undergraduate student body. They are dedicated to maintaining an environment where diversity and free expression can prosper through opinion, debate and education. Student Organization works with the administration to ensure optimum student right providing a platform for all individuals to succeed in the classroom and beyond college in their careers.

There are many different positions in contest in this election, as well as promising candidates, who want the best for the future of the Kean student body:

• Executive Board President :
    • Lindsey Gonzalez
  • Executive Vice-President :
    • Alyssa Edgar
  • Vice-President of Special Projects :
    • Rhyan Almonacy
  • Vice-President of Programming :
    • Tatyana Alicea
    • Cristal Colon
    • Paige Fleming
    • Chelsea Leon
  • Senior Class President :
    • Sarah Fedak
  • Senior Class Vice-President :
    • Elizabeth Chacko
    • Aissatou Diallo
  • Senior Class Secretary :
    • Tanvi Tandan
  • Junior Class President :
    • Kierstin McIlwrath
  • Junior Class Senator :
    • Birgit Kandler
  • Sophomore Class President :
    • Lester Castillo
    • Jordan Johnson
  • Sophomore Class Treasurer :
    • Yaritza Amaya
  • Sophomore Class Secretary :
    • Alyssa Miterko
  • Sophomore Class Senator :
    • Jaime Brennan

The Graduate and Part-Time Student Council fosters the development of a stimulating and interactive environment. Their goal is to enhance academic, social, and cultural experiences of the Kean community by encouraging diversity on the Kean campus. Their representation will employ the assets of Student Government and assist members to achieve their academic standards and promote the principles of academic success. The GPSC also strives to maintain an atmosphere of uncumbered scholarly opinion, debate and learning all while presenting programs both on and off-campus for the student's interest as well as edification at affordable prices.

The GPSC aims to promote leadership and the development of student leaders in the Kean community. The role of president is currently sought by Gabriella Lapointe.

All of these candidates promise great plans for the future. Now it is time for the students to fill in their ballots. In order to participate in this online election, students must follow these steps:

1. Go to Cougar Link using this link: https://kean.campuslabs.com/engage/ .
  2. Log in to Cougar Link using your Kean Google credentials.
  3. Click the link titled "Student Government and Alternate Student Trustee 2020-2021" on the Cougar Link homepage.
  4. Follow the instructions to make your ballot selections.
  5. Review the selections you have made and click "VOTE" to make your vote count!

Once the ballot closes, at 2 p.m. on April 16, final results will be announced via Cougar Link and email over the following weeks.

For more information regarding the Office of Student Government, students can visit their official page on Cougar Link and follow them on social media platforms for updates on future events.

Justin Kanski - web

Justin Kanski, Staff Writer
kanskij@kean.edu

Justin Kanski is a senior majoring in Communication with a focus on Media/Film and a minor in Health Relations. A Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte, Justin is also a part of Kean TV and WKNJ 90.3 Cougar Radio as the host of J Money Jams. He is a member of the Leadership Institute Platinum Level and has served as a New Student Orientation Leader for the past two years. Justin’s favorite shows are “Power” and "Cobra Kai" while his favorite movies are anything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He also loves listening to Hip-Hop music. Whether it be in front of the camera or behind it, Justin aspires to be a media mogul.