24-Hour Crisis Resources and Emergency Support Services

An overview of crisis rescources provided by the university

Campus News > 24-Hour Crisis Resources and Emergency Support Services
Safety is a priority at Kean University. Fortunately, a multitude of resources are provided to support the community.
Khali Raymond, Staff Writer

Due to current circumstances, it is imperative that the community stays healthy and in strong spirits to tackle the semester ahead. Fortunately, Kean provides a number of resources that support members of the community who are going through a challenging time with their physical, mental and emotional health.

The university recognizes the community's concerns being amplified by isolation and stress, due to quarantine restrictions and social distancing because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

For anyone that is or knows anyone in a crisis situation or experiencing any thoughts of suicide, it is recommended to call 911.

Hotlines are also readily available, such as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at (800) 273-8255 or the New Jersey Hopeline at 1 (855) 654-6735. These hotlines are open seven days a week, 24 hours a day.

Veterans are encouraged to call the Veterans Crisis 24-hour Hotline at (800) 273-8255 by pressing 1.

On the Union campus, the Kean Counseling Center offers mental health and substance use services at no additional cost for students.

The Counseling Center will be providing remote services to all students via HIPAA-compliant audio and video platforms. In-person appointments are also available on a case-by-case basis. To make an appointment, the Center can be called at (908) 316-8217 or emailed at counseling@kean.edu for mental health inquiries and aod@kean.edu for substance use issues.

The Counseling Center is located in Downs Hall, Room 127 and is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, it is open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.

For any urgent matters outside of scheduled appointments, the Center can be called amid regular work hours or on Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

For immediate assistance, in the event the center is closed, Kean University Police can be contacted via phone at (908) 737-4800.

The university is committed to health and wellness of the community. Anyone who is struggling is urged to tap into the following resources.

Khali Raymond, Staff Writer
raymonkh@kean.edu

Raymond_Khali-web.jpg

Khali Raymond is a senior majoring in English with a writing concentration. He attained his associate's in business administration from Berkeley College - Newark in 2019. In addition to his work as a staff writer, he is also a published author, spoken word artist, musician, activist and is the president of Kean Got Talent, a performing arts club on campus. Khali uses his creativity to overcome all adversity and impact the lives of those around him.