Discussing the Black and Brown Experience

An upcoming virtual student panel about experiences with race

Campus News > Discussing the Black and Brown Experience
The Pan-African Student Union will be hosting a virtual panel about race and the effects it has on society and academics.
Khali Raymond, Staff Writer

Thursday, Sept. 17, Kean's Pan-African Student Union (PASU) in collaboration with the National Council of Negro Women (NCNW) and National Pan Hellenic Council will be hosting a student led panel discussion and open forum where students will share personal experiences pertaining to racial identity. The virtual event will take place from 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. via Zoom.

Diversity Speaks: The Black and Brown Experience is intended to create a safe space for students of color to tell their stories and inform peers of how their racial identity influences their academic, social and professional life.

The Pan-African Student Union is an organization on campus that works to unite students of African descent to learn about their roots, embrace their heritage and educate the community on history, activism and civil rights. With a mission to provide empowerment through knowledge of pre-colonial roots to strengthen the future, the organization is very active on campus, providing informative and uplifting lectures, flag raising events and more. The group aims to advance the university's awareness of diversity being a transformational factor through education and embellishment of openness.

This panel is part of the Diversity Speaks Platform which seeks to educate and promote diversity through a collection of forum discussions facilitated entirely by students. The Black and Brown Experience is the first of two events to create this space for students to openly express their truths surrounding their identities.

Another event will be held the following week called "Diversity Speaks: A Movement Not A Moment."

This will be a panel discussion featuring faculty and staff members bringing awareness to racial justice and unity.

Kean University celebrates diversity wholeheartedly. The Black and Brown Experience will be an event that will bring perspective and understanding to the community in efforts of creating a society where no one will have to worry about any discrepancies because of their preferences or appearance.

Those that are interested in attending the discussion must RSVP to the event via Cougar Link. Students and members of the Kean community should keep an eye on Cougar Link, as many new events regarding advocacy, awareness, and student experience continue to pop up. Kean Cougars can learn about the world around them from their fellow peers in many ways, as Kean students are diverse and come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences.

Khali Raymond, Staff Writer
raymonkh@kean.edu

Raymond_Khali-web.jpg

Khali Raymond is a senior majoring in English with a writing concentration. He attained his associate's in business administration from Berkeley College - Newark in 2019. In addition to his work as a staff writer, he is also a published author, spoken word artist, musician, activist and is the president of Kean Got Talent, a performing arts club on campus. Khali uses his creativity to overcome all adversity and impact the lives of those around him.