Telehealth

Expanding Access to the Kean Wellness Center

Features > Telehealth
Telehealth
Student Health Services, Contributor

Telehealth and Telemedicine are terms that we have all become a little more familiar with in the last several months. When COVID-19 forced our health care facilities to transition to a remote model we had to find new ways to care for our patients remotely. The Kean Wellness Center, which includes Student Health Services (SHS) the Kean Counseling Center (KCC), Alcohol and Other Drug Services (AOD), and the Office of Accessibility Services (OAS), began using telehealth platforms to meet the needs of our students during the spring of 2020. Now as we begin to reopen our campus and welcome students back, telehealth is here to stay and is making health care even more accessible to our students.  

One of the benefits of telehealth is that your healthcare provider can meet you where you are at; whether that be at home, your residence hall or even on a break from work. Many types of appointments can be completed from a virtual platform such as Zoom.  For the KCC and OAS staff this means your sessions or meetings can be completed in a private space but not necessarily in the office. In office appointments are determined on a case by case basis. As for the SHS team, the practitioners are able to meet with you in a telemedicine visit first and then, if a face to face appointment is necessary, we can bring you into the office the same or next day in most cases.  

What can you expect from the Kean Wellness Center team?

We continue to be committed to bringing you high quality, cost-effective and patient centered care. We know that healthier students are better able to achieve their academic and personal goals. Whether virtual or in person, we will provide you with a confidential space to discuss your mental and physical health needs by using a Health Information Privacy and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliant Zoom platform for your telehealth appointments.  

What do we expect from you?

Continue to trust in and use our services as you have done so in the past. When engaging in a virtual appointment, make sure you have a private location and make us aware if others are in the room with you. If you are coming to the office for an appointment, always call first and do not arrive without an appointment.  Be on time and make sure all required forms are completed before you arrive. Comply with any new COVID-19 screening and office procedures, and adhere with all mitigation efforts such as wearing a mask, frequent hand washing and social distancing. 

We all hope that the COVID-19 virus stays at bay and that there is no resurgence in our area and that our country starts to see a decrease in cases. Until the virus is no longer a threat in our communities and we have a cure or vaccine, we will do our part to keep you healthy, provide a clean and safe place to go for your healthcare and be available to you more than ever. Not only does telehealth make us more accessible, but we also have extended hours during the Fall semester. KCC and SHS are available Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Tuesday and Wednesday evenings from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. for telehealth appointments. We have weekend hours on Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., also for telehealth appointments or urgent appointments.

Article courtesy of Robin Mansfield, director of Student Health Services.

For more information on Student Health Services (SHS), the Kean Counseling Center (KCC), the Office of Alcohol and Other Drug Services (AOD) and the Office of Accessibility Services (OAS)*, check out their respective webpages on the Kean website.

*The Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) was known as the Office of Disability Services.