Tomorrow’s Teachers Connecting Today

The club Tomorrow's Teachers is at Kean to help future teachers connect and grow their skills

Features > Tomorrow’s Teachers Connecting Today
Tomorrow’s Teachers Connecting Today
Tomorrow's Teachers helps connect aspiring educators to grow professionally during their time at Kean.
Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer

Kean is home to many education majors with the dream of becoming a teacher one day. Tomorrow’s Teachers is an organization on campus designed to help connect these students to create a network of passionate potential educators.

This organization was formerly known as the Early Childhood Education Club, however over the summer they underwent a rebranding to expand their community on campus. They did not want their name to limit members to just students studying early childhood education, rather they are open to students studying all grades and content levels.

Tomorrow's Teachers

The mission of this organization is to help make life-long connections between future educators to provide support, resources and professional development. They also aim to provide resources to the Kean community through the programming that they host on campus or virtually this semester. 

Within the organization, there are Mentors in Education Program which was made to bridge members throughout their college career. Tomorrow’s Teachers hosts Mentor Hour which focus on specific topics for the mentors and mentees to focus on such as navigating remote classes, declaring a specific major and Praxis concerns. These partnerships also connect on a specific need basis depending on the student’s needs.

Tomorrow's Teachers

Those interested in becoming a part of the Mentors in Education Program are encouraged to attend the information sessions on Sept. 24 from either 2 to 2:30 p.m. or 2:30 to 3 p.m. More information can be found on the organization’s Cougar Link page. 

Stephanie Plaza, president of Tomorrow’s Teachers, gave her story on why she joined the organization and how it has helped her grow. She knew from a young age that she wanted to be a teacher and this organization is helping her utilize her skills to become the best educator that she can be. 

Plaza said, “ Getting involved with this organization meant so much as I was able to get support from my former mentor, give support as a mentor, assist in the planning process with my executive board members and offer support for students who are in the position I once was in as a confused, freshman student.”

She continued, “This organization has helped me meet some of my friends who support me and assist me in my education journey. I believe that we are always learning from each other and this organization allows me to do so with my peers.”

Like Plaza, many students thrive off of being surrounded by students who have similar goals as them. It helps keep them motivated and provides them with more resources to grow. 

Tomorrow’s Teachers will be hosting many virtual events this semester that anyone is welcome to join. They are as follows:

• Thursday, Sept. 24, 2 p.m.: Mentor Meeting 
  • Thursday, Sept. 24, 2:30 p.m.: Mentor Meeting 
  • Sunday, Sept 27, 7 p.m.: Game Night!
  • Thursday, Oct. 1, 2 p.m.: Mentor Hour: Get to Know Kean
  • Friday, Oct. 9, 12:30 p.m.: Virtual Book Swap
  • Thursday, Oct 15, 2:30 p.m.:Mentor Hour: Surviving Virtual Classes
  • Wednesday, Nov. 4, 3:30 p.m.: Mentor Hours: Praxis Core Q&A
  • Thursday, Nov. 19, 2:30 p.m.: Mentor Hour: Praxis 2 Q&A
  • Thursday, Dec. 3, 2:30 p.m. Mentor Hour: Declaring Your Major

For more information on Tomorrow’s Teachers, be sure to visit their Cougar Link page and follow them on Instagram @keantomorrowsteachers.

Sheehan Shannon - web

Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer
sheehsha@kean.edu

Shannon Sheeehan is a Junior Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Marketing. She joined The Cougar's Byte staff in Spring 2018. After her time at Kean, Shannon hopes to start her professional career in Public Relations and/or Social Media.