Adopt-A-Park

Caring for the community one park at a time

Campus News > Adopt-A-Park
Adopt-A-Park
The Center for Leadership and Service and Union County Parks will be hosting Adopt-A-Park, a program that preserves the county's parks.
Khali Raymond, Staff Writer

Union County Parks and the Center for Leadership and Service will be holding a series of park cleanups throughout the month of October as part of the annual Adopt-A-Park program.

Union County has 36 parks spanning over 6,200 acres. The mission of the Adopt-A-Park program is to maintain the green spaces in the community for safety and accessibility, while boosting the quality of life of the county's citizens.

The Center for Leadership and Service has worked closely with Union County Parks in the past to encourage the Kean community to partake in ensuring that all open spaces are clean.

Many volunteers and local organizations donate goods and lend support to Union County Parks which helped the state of the county's parks.

In addition to its Adopt-A-Park program, Union County Parks has another program called Adopt-A-Trail, in which adopters maintain the Watchung Reservation.

During an Adopt-A-Park session, volunteers remove litter and debris from parks. Other tasks involve planting trees, removing invasive plants and assisting with shorelines.

Below are the following dates and locations where Adopt-A-Park will be running:

• Wednesday, Oct. 14 at Rutgers Avenue Park in Hillside, NJ from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
  • Saturday, Oct. 24 at Warinanco Park in Roselle, NJ from 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
  • Friday, Oct. 30 at Warinanco Park in Roselle, NJ from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Volunteer space is limited and pre-registration is required.

Students that are approved will receive additional details of the service project near its scheduled date.

Because of the activity's outdoor nature, volunteers should dress accordingly.

Events are in-person, which means face coverings must be worn. Attendance will be recorded through the Event Pass. That and the form to register for Adopt-A-Park can both be found on Cougar Link.

The Center for Leadership and Service remains committed to providing opportunities for community service involvement throughout the Kean community.

For more information and questions, comments or concerns, the Center for Leadership and Service can be reached via email at serve@kean.edu.

Khali Raymond, Staff Writer
raymonkh@kean.edu

Khali Raymond is a junior pursuing his Bachelor of Arts in English with a Writing Option. He graduated from Berkeley College - Newark with his Associate’s in Business Administration in August 2019. Joining the staff in September 2019, he works as a staff writer for The Cougar’s Byte. Khali has a lengthy resume with five years of professional experience in creative writing and publishing. He has written for editorials such as The Obama Foundation, Prudential, and PTSDJournal. Khali is also a performance poet and emcee. Khali plans to proceed with his plans of becoming a bestselling author, critically acclaimed poet and a multi-platinum selling artist after attaining his degree from Kean University.