Freshman Class of 2024 Election Candidates

Voting takes place from 9 a.m. Monday, Oct. 19, through 5 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 21

Campus News > Freshman Class of 2024 Election Candidates

Meet the candidates for the Student Organization Freshman Class of 2024 elections. Voting takes place from 9 a.m. on Monday, Oct.19, through 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2020, in Cougar Link. All full-time undergraduate students with less than 29 credits may vote in the Class 2024 election.

Eligible voters may access the ballot directly by clicking here or by going to https://kean.campuslabs.com/engage/submitter/election/start/450428Please note, you can only access the ballot during the set election date and time and you must login before being able to vote.

Meet the Candidates

Freshman Class of 2024 President:

Siya Arora

• I have served in the student council all throughout my school years as I am very passionate about advocating for the students and creating needful change. 

• I was born in India, but I grew up in Dubai and both of those places have shaped me into the person I am today. 

• When I was fourteen, I released my first song, and have been pursuing music professionally since then. 

• Along with music, I am also really interested in theatre, sports and yoga.  

• I hope to make a positive impact in our Kean community if you give me the chance to serve you in this position.

Martiah Fenelon

• I am currently a full time student here at Kean University, majoring in biology. 

• I graduated high school at BCIT with a certification in culinary arts. 

• I have leadership skills and I like to learn many different things from anyone willing to teach me.

• Throughout my years, I have attended events from all aspects of student life. I evaluated how these events went and always felt that need on how to get more people to join in and participate. 

• As student body president I would make the effort to meet and widen my perspective. Any candidate can make promises, but I will follow through.

Tayahra Griffin

• I am a Bronze Leader at Kean Leadership Institute. 

• As we know this upcoming year will be challenging due to the pandemic and it is going to take everyone's cooperation making the best of it. I think it is best to have someone like me leading our class. I will help make our Transition to Kean seamless and make this a year we will not forget.

Luckerlme Milien

• I am a black man who was born and raised in Haiti and Is now living in America. I speak three languages, English, French, and Creole. 

• I am just a regular college student whose ultimate goal is to become a neurosurgeon. 

• I am a man of character, I am a man of who abides by morals, I am a man who'd love to see change, a man who prevails, a man who perseveres, and a man who fight for what he believes in, and lastly, I am an educated man at that.

• My ultimate goal is to see all the essential things that are in need are met in the community. 

• I will do my very best to try to implement school dances dedicated to the class of 2024, fundraisers, donations, drives and most importantly advocate for student's rights.

Jazaan Walsh

• I am from Bound Brook NJ and I am a Biology major on a pre-med track, aspiring to become a pediatric cardiologist. 

• In Highschool, I involved myself in many programs within my school as well as around my towns, such as Peer Leadership and "Pathways to Success" where I held many leadership positions and involved myself in various Clubs and Community Service opportunities. 

• As your Freshman Class President, I would love to hear your comments and concerns whether it be regarding housing, health, food services, etc. I would advocate for the freshman class as a whole and make sure I get all your concerns addressed and fixed to the best of my ability. 

• I would conduct various programs to allow us to get to know each other better and make our college experience easier for us all.

Freshman Class of 2024 Vice President:

Lesley Avila

• I am currently a full time manager at my job, full time mother & full time student. 

• I would be more than happy to be your Class Vice President and make the changes and hear out your opinion on making 2024 different and unique!

David Graham

• I served on the student government in my high school, so I am familiar with most of the duties that come with being Vice President. 

• Throughout my life I have always been devoted to helping people, that is why I plan to enter the medical field. 

• I hope to bring creative and insightful ideas to the student board in order to better Kean as a whole. Don't just vote for me, vote for a better future.

Syedah Younis

• I am a biology major from Willingboro, New Jersey and I plan on going back to medical school to become an Obstetrician.

• I consider myself to be a passionate community servant with the capacity to stimulate and energize individuals in recognizing their potential to maintain and share this passion to assist others. With this ongoing journey to give, I have been able to support meaningful, positive change in communities and individuals through advocacy, authorized by compassion. 

• I take satisfaction in battling in a civically based approach to community building as I committed to a life long service based on personal and professional practices. 

• As an African daughter of a Liberian household, I have grown to be familiar with a striving through struggle mindset based on a strong organization built on educational values. These small but important characteristics have consistently encouraged me to become a voice to the voiceless and a light of hope to the hopeless.

Freshman Class of 2024 Treasurer:

Devone Johnson

• I recently migrated to the United States from Kingston, Jamaica and I'm currently living in Newark, New Jersey. 

• I attended Wolmer's Trust High School For Girls in Jamaica for 3 and a half years and I finished high school at Orange High school in Orange, New Jersey. 

• Throughout my high school career, I've managed to be a part of a Volleyball team, an Octagon Club, The Space program and I graduated with 4 honor rolls to show for each year. 

• I enjoy going out, dancing, bingeing (my favorite Netflix series right now is "The Originals"), meeting new people and traveling. 

• I'm applying to be the Freshman Class Treasurer as I would like to be a part of the committee that not only helps and improves but also gives back to the Freshman class of 2024.

Freshman Class of 2024 Secretary:

Amber Afzal

• I am majoring in Biomedicine. 

• I was born in Scotland and have lived there for 12 years of my life. I have also lived in Switzerland for 3 years. 

• I am a very diverse person and have knowledge of different cultures and beliefs. I believe that everyone has their own opinion and that each and every opinion matters.

•  I had to learn French as I was living in Switzerland for 3 years, this experience made me a better listener and a fast learner

• I believe that the characteristics above will make me a great candidate for this position and I hope for the best for this school.

Benita Julian Robert Raj

• I am a pre-med student, a Bharatanatyam dancer, and a hard worker who is determined to become successful. 

• I am aspiring to become a Pediatrician or Child Neurologist thus love children. 

• I am kind to others and believe we should work together to reach our goal. 

• When life gets hard, I will push through the obstacle and learn from my mistakes.

Ganesh Ramcharran

• In my years at high school, I spent a majority of my time directed towards community service and the drill team at NJROTC. Those years targeting those specific events led to me becoming the third ranked cadet amongst five-hundred other cadets, thus being named the Operations Officer. 

• As the Operations Officer, I would take notes down during every vital meeting that was beneficial to the Naval Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps. Given the positive feedback I had received during my time spent as the Operations Officer, I believe I would make a great Secretary and I can guarantee that I will work through any given tasks with a great amount of effort put into completion of said tasks.

Freshman Class of 2024 Senators:

Matthew Acosta

• I am an Interior Design Major here at Kean. 

• I am a Jersey native, born and raised in Bergen County. 

• Some fun facts about me are that I am a musician, I love photography, and I also like to go camping. Another thing I enjoy is traveling, and I hope to travel to at least 25-30 countries before I reach the age of 50. I also want to take a whole year traveling the 50 states. 

• It would be more than an honor to serve the Kean Freshman Class as Senator!

Erika Calle

• I'm a biotech major and a commuter student at Kean. 

• I'm a member of the bronze leadership program, which has shown me the importance of voicing our own ideas. 

• My plan is to unify the class of 2024 and I'm open to any suggestions students may have for virtual events.

Uyiosa Igori

• I understand that due to COVID, we do not have an ideal first semester at Kean. However, when/if Covid dies down, I want us to get the things that we missed out on. 

• I want to be your voice. If you vote for me you will not regret it.

Jeremiah Monteiro

• Representing the freshman class at Kean University would genuinely be an honor and a duty, I am willing to give my all. The class of 2024 is one of the strongest and bravest classes, and that is something I would love to represent. 

• As we all go through this new way of life, I promise that the class of 2024 will get nothing but pure heart, dedication, and change from the other members of the board and me. 

• As the semester rolled along, I heard your complaints and ideas and promised to address these issues. We all deserve a fair and memorable college experience that we all enjoy together. 

• If you choose me as the freshman class senator at Kean University, all your voices as a student body will be heard and addressed. Lastly, I vow pure dedication to my peers and that I will stop at nothing to make my class satisfied now and the years to come.

Subha Nanduri

• I am a great listener and I work very well in groups. 

• I want to make sure that any student issue that comes up around the University is heard and properly taken care of.

Glynnis Tan

• I am a Freshman at Kean University hoping to graduate in 2024 with a major in Global Business. 

• I'm a very goal oriented and detailed person who's main goal is to be the best I can be.

•  I've had many leadership roles and positions in my years and am very used to planning events, coordinating activities and leading a team. 

• I have many ideas and can contribute in a multitude of ways. If chosen I assure you that you will not be disappointed.

Trinity Thompson

• I am a bubbly, outspoken, energetic, compassionate person who loves to interact with my peers. 

• I am a strong advocate for academic success, community values, diversity and resources for "safe spaces." 

• Within my town I organized a Unity Walk against racism, in doing so, it boosted my ability to bring people together for a greater cause. 

• Organizing and speaking at such a big event, with over 1,000 people attending, it enhanced my leadership skills, my connection to others and my vocalization of not only my own concerns but the concerns of others.

• I promise to keep every student's best interest at heart and push for a safe Kean community where  student voices are heard clearly.

Voting Instructions

The election will take place from 9 a.m. on Monday, Oct. 19, 2020, until 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2020, in Cougar Link, Kean University’s online student involvement network. All votes must be cast by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2020, to be counted in the official vote tally.

To vote in this election, please follow these steps:

1. Go to Cougar Link through the Kean University homepage, www.kean.edu, or navigate there directly by going to https://kean.campuslabs.com/engage/
  2. Log in using your KeanGOOGLE username (without “@kean.edu”) and password. The login link is located on the top right of the Cougar Link page. If you have not activated your account, you will be prompted to complete a profile upon logging in for the first-time.
  3. Click the link for for the Student Organization Freshman Class of 2024 Elections on the Cougar Link homepage.
  4. Follow the on screen instructions and make your ballot selections.
  5. Review your selections and on the last screen click “VOTE” to officially cast your ballot.

You may also access the ballot directly by clicking here or by going to https://kean.campuslabs.com/engage/submitter/election/start/450428Please note, you can only access the ballot during the set election date and time and you must login before being able to vote.

If you experience any complications voting, please contact Cougar Link support at cougarlink@kean.edu.