#KeanBlueThinksPink

The Kean community is celebrating Breast Cancer Awareness month throughout October

Campus Life > #KeanBlueThinksPink
#KeanBlueThinksPink
Kean University will be celebrating Breast Cancer Awareness Month through educational events and fundraising efforts.
Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer

With October being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the Kean community is uniting to raise awareness and funds for those impacted.

According to the American Cancer Society, approximately 279,100 cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in 2020 alone. This is the most common form of cancer found in women aside from skin cancer. Breast cancer impacts many people, from patients to their families and communities, which is why Kean is coming together to honor them throughout the month of October.

Kean University has a Making Strides Against Breast Cancer fundraising team that students, faculty, alumni and others can donate to. These funds will help in a variety of ways, such as research, education, medical services and more.

Those posting about the Making Strides team or any Kean related efforts for Breast Cancer Awareness month are encouraged to use the hashtag #KeanBlueThinksPink to help promote those efforts.

There will be events held throughout the month to educate and inspire the students on campus.

The Center for Leadership and Service is hosting several Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Meetups for students to attend. This will be a space to learn how one can spread awareness about breast cancer. Also, participants can learn how to increase their fundraising efforts. These meetings will be held virtually as follows:

• Tues. Oct. 13 10 to 11 a.m.

• Thurs. Oct. 15 2 to 3p.m.

• Tues. Oct. 20 10 to 11 a.m.

• Tues. Oct. 22 2 to 3 p.m.

Fight Like a Girl is another supportive event, one of several to be hosted by the Office of Residential Student Services (RSS). During this event, students will participate in a game of BINGO while learning about breast cancer. This will transpire virtually on Tuesday, Oct. 13 from 5 to 6 p.m.

Another event being hosted by RSS is called Think Pink! There, students will participate in an informational game of Kahoot relating to breast cancer. It will be held virtually on Wednesday, Oct. 14 from 6 to 7 p.m.

Better Be Safe Than Sorry is also being hosted by RSS, a conversation for students about breast cancer held through a myth-versus-fact game. It will be held virtually on Friday, Oct. 16 from 6 to 7 p.m. 

Kean University is dedicated to educating its community about breast cancer awareness, as well as fundraising for the cause all throughout the month of October and beyond.

Sheehan Shannon - web

Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer
sheehsha@kean.edu

Shannon Sheeehan is a Junior Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Marketing. She joined The Cougar's Byte staff in Spring 2018. After her time at Kean, Shannon hopes to start her professional career in Public Relations and/or Social Media.