Mental Health Matters

Provided are resources and tips to help ensure a good relationship with your mental health

Campus Life > Mental Health Matters
Mental Health Matters
A look into the Yoga in the Garden event that will be hosted by Liberty Hall.
Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer

Being a college student can come with a lot of stressors, but it is always important to check in on one's mental wellness. There are many different methods to do so, but detailed here will be some resources and activities offered directly by Kean University for its students.

There are organizations on campus that aim to address mental health awareness as it relates to college students. 

For example, Active Minds was created to reduce the stigma around mental health disorders at a peer-to-peer level. It informs its members and the Kean community on various mental health disorders, and gives students an open space to discuss mental health as it relates to college students and beyond. Their next general body meeting is Monday, Oct. 12 at 3:30 p.m. online, for anyone who wants to join. For more information on this organization, be sure to check out their Cougar Link page.

The Counseling Center, along with the Counseling, Disability, Alcohol and other Drug Services, is also at Kean as a resource to students that are overwhelmed and experiencing stress and anxiety. They host many events, including some of the following upcoming:

• Virtual Drop in Support every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at 2 p.m. online

• LGBTQ+ Drop In Support Space every Friday at 2 p.m. online

• Raise Your Voice: Drop in Support Hour every Monday at 2 p.m. online

• Outdoor Mindfulness every Thursday at the Rock Garden outside Downs Hall at 1 p.m.

For more information on these events and more, be sure to check out Counseling, Disability, Alcohol and other Drug Services’ Cougar Link page. Students can also request counseling services remotely by contacting them at (908) 316-8217 or counseling@kean.edu

Another upcoming event on campus is Zen on Wednesday, on Oct. 7 from 5 to 6:30 p.m. online. This is being hosted by the National Council of Negro Women, Inc. (NCNW), who aim to lead, advocate for and empower women of African descent. This event will include a yoga session, which helps many people relieve stress and muscle tension, and helps keep calm and centered. To learn more about this event or other events hosted by the NCNW, visit their Cougar Link page.

Another yoga event transpiring soon on campus is Yoga in the Gardens. This is being held at the Liberty Hall Museum on Saturday, Oct. 10 from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. This event is $16 for Kean students and is intended for all levels of yoga experience.

Coloring is an art form that can also relieve stress. The Center for Leadership and Service is hosting Coloring for a Cause, for students that want to calm down while also helping people in need. Students can download and print the images from the computer or color them virtually, and the photos will be sent to Atria Senior Living, to bring smiles to seniors' faces and brighten their days.

Overall, it is important for students to check in and be mindful of their mental health. Through these events and organizations, students can learn more about how to boost their mindfulness and even improve their mental health.

Sheehan Shannon - web

Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer
sheehsha@kean.edu

Shannon Sheeehan is a Junior Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Marketing. She joined The Cougar's Byte staff in Spring 2018. After her time at Kean, Shannon hopes to start her professional career in Public Relations and/or Social Media.