Midterm Preparation

Tips on preparing for midterm exams

Campus Life > Midterm Preparation
Midterm Preparation
It is midterm season. As students are bracing themselves for the upcoming exams, there are a few tips on ways to prepare.
Khali Raymond, Staff Writer

With midterm exams on the horizon, the middle of the semester can be a challenging time for students as everyone in the Kean community balances their personal life with a busy workload. Fortunately, there are methods one can use to prepare for exams more efficiently and easily.

Preparation is key since it will ensure the utmost success. Studying regularly is known to improve a student's grades and work ethic. Before and after each class, students should take at least thirty minutes to review what they will or have taken in during the lecture or discussion.

This can include reading a few chapters of their course textbook or going over their notes, which will aid in absorbing the course's material and recalling it proficiently.

Taking notes during a lecture is crucial to studying also. An instructor could be giving information pertaining to any assignment or test which helps in the long run.

Forming a study group is an option also. Having like-minded peers sharing the same goals will keep a student on track, as the group can work to develop effective studying strategies and problem solving skills that will help them not only for their midterms but for their success in the whole course.

Studying for an hour leading up to exams is recommended. This way, the information can be stored and better processed closely preceding the exam.

Before any exams, students should also be getting proper sleep and nutrition. Having a well-rested mind and fruitful diet will heighten a person's energy, helping them to feel more focused and confident in their abilities.

Students should have good relationships with their instructors, whether they check in with them or ask questions that are relevant to the lesson plans, and students will undoubtedly receive input on this front, helping them to move forward.

There are many resources students are able to take advantage of, starting with Kean's tutoring services. Whether a student is struggling to grasp concepts in a course or study effectively, they can set up an appointment with a tutor and express what they need assistance with.

For any general questions or to set up an appointment, the tutoring center is reachable via email at tutoringcenter@kean.edu.

Best of luck to all students on their exams.

Khali Raymond, Staff Writer
raymonkh@kean.edu

Khali Raymond is a junior pursuing his Bachelor of Arts in English with a Writing Option. He graduated from Berkeley College - Newark with his Associate’s in Business Administration in August 2019. Joining the staff in September 2019, he works as a staff writer for The Cougar’s Byte. Khali has a lengthy resume with five years of professional experience in creative writing and publishing. He has written for editorials such as The Obama Foundation, Prudential, and PTSDJournal. Khali is also a performance poet and emcee. Khali plans to proceed with his plans of becoming a bestselling author, critically acclaimed poet and a multi-platinum selling artist after attaining his degree from Kean University.