Virtual Social Spaces

The Counseling Center now hosts multiple virtual social spaces to support students

Campus Life > Virtual Social Spaces
Virtual Social Spaces
Students can now utilize the Counseling Center's new Zoom drop in spaces!
Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor

In addition to their counseling services, the Counseling Center has begun hosting multiple virtual social spaces throughout the week to support students' social and emotional needs through Zoom safe spaces.

Currently, the Counseling Center hosts three types of virtual spaces:

• Raise Your Voice: Drop in Support Hour on Mondays at 2 p.m.
  • Virtual Drop-in Support Space on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 2 p.m.
  • LGBTQ+ Drop-in Support Space on Fridays at 2 pm.

The Raise Your Voice: Drop in Support Hour Zoom calls were created to give students a safe space to discuss current events, issues and topics in a healthy manner. The Virtual Drop-in Support Spaces, held on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, are more generalized spaces where students can discuss anything they want to. The LGBTQ+ Drop-in Support Space is a space for the LGBTQ+ community and their allies.

"The spaces are really for students that need a place to go, maybe cannot wait for an appointment or had something stressful happen that day, and there will be someone trained on the other side of the Zoom call," explained the Counseling Center. "It is important to know that this is not a mental health group; mental health groups are normally run confidentially with the same members every week that have been screened by a clinician at our office. The drop-in spaces are open to all students, any day of the week, and could vary every day."

With the additions of these spaces, students can have the comfort of knowing that there is a safe space to discuss topics of interest with others, daily. These spaces are especially useful during these socially distant times, considering the limited opportunities for in-person socialization.

"The idea came from the pandemic and the social [and] emotional climate we are currently in. The counseling center felt, at this time, maybe more than any other time, students (and everyone) needed additional support," said the Counseling Center. "We understand there are tons of virtual spaces happening around campus. We encourage the spaces because even if it is through Zoom right now, connecting with others is so important."

The drop-in spaces are open to all students. Students do not need to register for any of the sessions in order to join. Zoom details for each drop in space are available on the Counseling, Disability, Alcohol and other Drug Services' Cougar Link page.

In addition to the virtual social spaces, the Counseling Center provides a variety of counseling services. For more information on the Counseling Center and their services, check out their web page. To talk to a representative, email counseling@kean.edu or call (908) 316- 8217.

Abigail Anne Rafael - web

Abigail Anne Rafael, Senior Editor
rafaela@kean.edu

Abigail Anne Rafael is the Senior Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and first joined staff in January 2018. She is a communication major with a concentration in public relations. Abigail aims to inspire and motivate readers with her writing. After graduating from Kean, she hopes to work for a Catholic company to dispel mistruths about the Church.