All About Minors

Everything to know about the minor programs at Kean

Campus Life > All About Minors
All About Minors
Choosing a minor can be overwhelming due to the options. This article will help students understand how minors work and what is available to them.
Khali Raymond, Staff Writer

A minor is a secondary academic discipline chosen by a student that complements the major they've selected and develops a different area of study.

Minors are completely optional at Kean, and the university offers a plethora of academic areas for students to choose from. Typically, a minor consists of a minimum of 15 semester hours, which could be in a single discipline or interdisciplinary.

Students majoring in a single academic discipline cannot minor in the same one. They have to choose a minor in a discipline different from their major in order to experience the range of study that's required.

Six semester hours must come from 3000-4000 level courses. Courses with a "C" or higher will be applied to the minor. Different minors may have additional grade or GPA requirements.

Students looking to be admitted for a minor program must use the Major/Minor Status Change Form, which can be found here.

The form must be signed by the coordinator responsible for the minor program and then submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

Upon filing for graduation, the academic department or college that offers the minor has to verify and sign off on all the requirements being met, with verification of its completion being filed within the Registrar's Office. The minor will be reflected on the student's transcript.

Below is a selection of minors currently offered by the university:

• Accounting
  • Art History
  • Biology
  • Bioinformatics
  • Communication
  • Criminal Justice
  • Dance
  • Economics
  • English
  • Fine Arts
  • French Studies
  • Gerontology
  • Health
  • History
  • Inclusive Health and Physical Activity
  • Information Technology
  • Jewish Studies & World Affairs
  • Latin American Studies
  • Management
  • Music
  • Philosophy & Religion
  • Psychology
  • Social Media
  • Sociology
  • Theatre
  • Yoga Studies

For the full list of minors, Kean's undergraduate catalog can be found at this link.

Khali Raymond, Staff Writer
raymonkh@kean.edu

Raymond_Khali-web.jpg

Khali Raymond is a senior majoring in English with a writing concentration. He attained his associate's in business administration from Berkeley College - Newark in 2019. In addition to his work as a staff writer, he is also a published author, spoken word artist, musician, activist and is the president of Kean Got Talent, a performing arts club on campus. Khali uses his creativity to overcome all adversity and impact the lives of those around him.