Emergency Food Distribution: Volunteers Needed!

Volunteers are needed to help distribute packaged goods

Campus News > Emergency Food Distribution: Volunteers Needed!
Amid the ongoing health crisis, food insecurity is increasing and it will take the community to step in for the issue to be resolved.
Khali Raymond, Staff Writer

The Center for Leadership and Service and Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders are looking for students to help distribute packaged goods to Union County residents experiencing hardship as a result of the ongoing pandemic.

The next opportunity will begin at 7:30 a.m. on Nov. 21 and conclude by 1 p.m. Distribution will be held in the Vaughn-Eames Parking Lot, by the North Avenue Academic Building. To volunteer, students must pre-register.

Breakfast and lunch will be provided for the volunteers. The food donations are given out on a first come, first served basis with no required registration for Union County residents seeking to pick up goods.

This particular food drive takes place during Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week, which is from Nov. 15 to 22. The week was conceived to bring awareness to poverty and support those suffering from food insecurities.

Since this event will be held in person, it is required for volunteers to wear a face covering over both the face and mouth, with their #CampusClear app ready. Attendance will be tracked via the Cougar Link Event Pass.

Pre-registration for this event is required as spots are limited. Students that are interested can register to volunteer on Cougar Link. More information about the event will be sent out to volunteers closer to its date.

Students who are interested in volunteering for a food distrbution box assembly event but cannot attend the Nov. 21 date can volunteer on the following future dates:

*There are multiple shifts for the Wednesday, Dec. 9 and Thursday, Dec. 10 dates so be sure to register for the specific shift you want through Cougar Link.

Information for all these dates and shifts can be found on their respective Cougar Link pages. Pre-registration is required for all volunteer opportunities.

Any questions, comments or concerns can be directed to the Center for Leadership and Service can be emailed at serve@kean.edu.

Khali Raymond, Staff Writer
raymonkh@kean.edu

Raymond_Khali-web.jpg

Khali Raymond is a senior majoring in English with a writing concentration. He attained his associate's in business administration from Berkeley College - Newark in 2019. In addition to his work as a staff writer, he is also a published author, spoken word artist, musician, activist and is the president of Kean Got Talent, a performing arts club on campus. Khali uses his creativity to overcome all adversity and impact the lives of those around him.