Goodbye College, Hello Life

A presentation on resources ensuring success for graduating students

Campus Life > Goodbye College, Hello Life
Goodbye College, Hello Life
Student Organization of Kean University had a presentation with tips for readiness after college.
Khali Raymond, Staff Writer

The Kean University Student Class of 2021 held a presentation on the final steps of completing senior year and what to look forward to after. This event took place on Wednesday, Nov. 18 from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. via Zoom.

Throughout the presentation, students were shown the steps of graduation readiness such as meeting with their advisers, applying for graduation and buying senior portraits or class rings.

Perhaps what was the most important were the two paths touched upon: graduate school and the workforce.

Amy Clark, Program Assistant of Graduate Admissions gave students information about the school's graduate program such as the programs that are offered along with the requirements for applying.

There are many benefits for a student who applies to graduate school such as earning specific certifications, meeting the educational requirements for post-baccalaureate fields and growing their professional network along with expanding their knowledge and skills.

"Increasing a professional network is something that most people do not think about," said Clark. "Students will be shocked by who they meet since they are in such a diverse group of professors and students that could increase their network."

Shortly after, Laureen Delance of Career Services came with information about the purpose it serves which provides opportunities for internships, career exploration and job readiness to Kean students.

The importance of having a LinkedIn profile and a concise work resume were expanded upon greatly throughout this half of the presentation.

"My specific role is working on developing internships for students," said Delance. "Some of the other areas that I provide support in Career Services is to make sure students have the right tools, skills and resources to go out and navigate the workforce."

Concluding the event, a giveaway was held at the end where two students were selected to win a prize.

Career Services at Kean University is an office that works to connect and prepare students for the real world. With an appointment, students can sit down with a representative from Career Services and go over their resumes. They will help to expand and highlight key attributes and accomplishments catered to the intended position. They will also explain which things need to be removed. To make an appointment, contact Career Services located in the Center for Academic Success (CAS), Room 201 by phone at (908) 737-4626 or by emailing career@kean.edu.  

The Student Class of 2021 represents all full-time fourth year students at the university. Student Organization's mission is to encourage students to voice their feelings and support students on their journeys to empowerment. More information about the organization can be found on Cougar Link.

Khali Raymond, Staff Writer
raymonkh@kean.edu

Khali Raymond is a junior pursuing his Bachelor of Arts in English with a Writing Option. He graduated from Berkeley College - Newark with his Associate’s in Business Administration in August 2019. Joining the staff in September 2019, he works as a staff writer for The Cougar’s Byte. Khali has a lengthy resume with five years of professional experience in creative writing and publishing. He has written for editorials such as The Obama Foundation, Prudential, and PTSDJournal. Khali is also a performance poet and emcee. Khali plans to proceed with his plans of becoming a bestselling author, critically acclaimed poet and a multi-platinum selling artist after attaining his degree from Kean University.