My Life After Hate

A discussion on how a former Neo-Nazi overcame anti-Semitism

Campus News > My Life After Hate
My Life After Hate
Former Neo-Nazi Arno Michaelis will speak to the community about his story of overcoming anti-Semitism and moving past a life of hate.
Khali Raymond, Staff Writer

The Holocaust Resource Center at Kean University and the Holocaust Council of Greater MetroWest NJ will be facilitating a discussion with Arno Michaelis, author of memoir My Life After Hate and former Neo-Nazi who once lived a life marred by anti-Semitism. The talk will be held on Monday, Nov. 9 at 7 p.m. via Zoom.

The discussion is in honor of Kristallnacht, or the Night of Broken Glass, a pogrom that was carried out against Jews in Nazi Germany in 1938.

Michaelis was involved in the white power movement during his adolescence and later became the founding member of the largest racist skinhead organization in the world.

Arno grew up in an abusive household, which largely contributed to his actions later on in life. He had struggles with alcoholism. He was also the lead singer of Centurion, a hate-metal band which sold over 20,000 CDs.

After having a daughter at the age of 24, Arno wanted to turn his life around. He quit drinking in 2004 and began writing a memoir reflecting on his life in 2007. The biography was published in 2010, and became a bestseller.

Michaelis is now a public speaker, author and activist who uses his story to spread kindness and atone for his past. He also has a nonprofit organization called Life After Hate, which he co-founded with several others in 2011.

The organization's mission is to provide support and assistance for people who desire to leave far-right extremist groups and to rekindle their humanity.

More information about the event can be found on Cougar Link. For the Zoom link, attendees can email coykends@kean.edu.

Khali Raymond, Staff Writer
raymonkh@kean.edu

Khali Raymond is a junior pursuing his Bachelor of Arts in English with a Writing Option. He graduated from Berkeley College - Newark with his Associate’s in Business Administration in August 2019. Joining the staff in September 2019, he works as a staff writer for The Cougar’s Byte. Khali has a lengthy resume with five years of professional experience in creative writing and publishing. He has written for editorials such as The Obama Foundation, Prudential, and PTSDJournal. Khali is also a performance poet and emcee. Khali plans to proceed with his plans of becoming a bestselling author, critically acclaimed poet and a multi-platinum selling artist after attaining his degree from Kean University.