Calling all playwrights! Premiere Stages will be opening submissions for their Bauer Boucher Kean Student/Alumni Playwriting Awards from Nov. 13 through 11:59 p.m. on Dec. 14.
The Bauer Boucher Kean Student/Alumni Playwrighting Awards was named after longtime Premiere Stages supporters W. John Bauer and Nancy Boucher. The award program was created to encourage Kean student and alumni playwrights to showcase their work.
One current Kean student will be selected to receive a $1000 award. One alumnus will be selected to receive a $2000 award. In addition to these, both winners will receive a one-day developmental reading of their plays with professional casts and directors. Additional playwrights may also be selected as finalists and awarded $100.
Submissions will be judged by a panel of art professionals who evaluate the work and provide recommendations to the Producing Artistic Director and artistic staff.
Submissions must include:
- Brief synopsis of the play that is no more than half a page
- character breakdown
- Script or as much of it as is already written along with scene breakdown of full play
- The playwright's bio or resume
Submissions must be formatted as a PDF via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions will be accepted from Nov. 13, 2020 through 11:59 p.m. on Dec. 14, 2020.
- Playwrights must be current students in good academic standing or graduates of Kean University
- Previous winning plays and finalist plays are ineligible
- Plays must be unpublished
- Plays must have never received a professional production
- Scripts must be one-acts, full-length or solo shows.
- Incomplete scripts must contain at least 25 pages and a detailed scene breakdown for the full play
- Playwrights must be available for the development of their script as noted in the 2021 schedule
- 2021 Schedule
- Nov. 13, 2020 - Submissions open
- Dec. 14, 2020 - Submissions close at 11:59 p.m.
- Early January 2021- Finalist interviews
- Mid January 2021- Winners and finalists selected
- Late January 2021 - Winners receive professional readings (date and locations to be announced)
All interested students and Kean alumni are encouraged to apply regardless of background, age or level of experience.