Your Chance to Serve

Upcoming opportunities to reach out in the community with service projects

Campus News > Your Chance to Serve
Your Chance to Serve
Volunteers needed for upcoming service projects!
John Artenstein, Editor

Lots of time remains in the Fall 2020 semester, and the Center for Leadership and Service (CLS) is filling it with opportunities for Kean students to give back to the community. Different series of service projects continue to meet, often weekly, helping anyone in need in every way possible.

Over the first half of November, CLS teams up with the Community Food Bank of New Jersey to provide for the food insecure with work on the ground - purchasing and distributing food to those in need - and with strategy - encouraging others to contribute, and helping fill out applications for food stamps. The Community Food Bank projects have limited space for volunteers, so those interested should pre-register as soon as possible. Volunteers will meet on-site in Hillside, NJ, on Friday, Nov. 6, from 1 to 3:30 p.m. Then again on Friday, Nov. 13 from 1 to 3:30 p.m. Face coverings are required.

Any volunteers who have not participated in a Community Food Bank trip must attend the Community Food Bank Information Meetup, via Zoom, on Thursday, Nov. 5 at 2 p.m. in order to get up to speed.

Letter Writing to Veterans also continues throughout November. Volunteers will gather remotely to write letters to Veterans, an offer of comfort to those who have bravely served during a time when the pandemic has made socializing so difficult, and left many people isolated. Volunteers are required to RSVP to these events with at least 24 hours' notice. These remote meetings will take place on:

• Friday, Nov. 6 at 4 p.m.
  • Monday, Nov. 9 at 4 p.m.
  • Thursday, Nov. 12 at 2 p.m.
  • Monday, Nov. 16 at 4 p.m.
  • Tuesday, Nov. 17 at 2 p.m.
  • Friday, Nov. 20 at 2 p.m.
  • Monday, Nov. 23 at 4 p.m.
  • Tuesday, Nov. 24 at 2 p.m.
  • Monday, Nov. 30 at 4 p.m.

Coloring for a Cause, which has continued through much of the fall, brings volunteers together to draw and color artwork as gifts to residents at Atria Senior Living, both as a means of brightening someone's day and combating the isolation of remote living that so many have felt recently. These service opportunities are held online, and volunteers can use templates to upload their designs or do their drawing online. Volunteers must RSVP 24 hours in advance, and they will be held on the following Thursdays at 4 p.m.:

• Nov. 5
  • Nov. 12
  • Nov. 19
  • Dec. 3
  • Dec. 10
  • Dec. 17
  • as well as on Saturday, Nov. 21, at 7 p.m.

Service volunteers are also sought for Food Distribution Events to be held during the fall for members of the Union County community facing hardships because of the pandemic. Volunteers will meet in the Vaughn-Eames Parking Lot, near the North Avenue Academic Building, to help distribute packaged food. Pre-registration is required for volunteers. They will meet on Saturday, Nov. 7, from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

They will continue on Saturday, Nov. 14, from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Plainfield;
Then on Saturday, Nov. 21, from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Kean;
Then on Saturday, Dec. 12, from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Plainfield;
And then on Saturday, Dec. 19, from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Kean.

All of these service opportunities make it easy for Kean students to reach out and make a difference while gaining invaluable experience in the community.

For more information about these events and the Center for Leadership and Service, visit the Miron Student Center, Room 219, or reach out via phone at 908-737-5170 or by email at cls@kean.edu.

John Artenstein - web

John Artenstein, Editor
artenstj@kean.edu

John Shepherd is an English major with a concentration in creative writing. He has been a contributing editor for mayhemdotcom, The Odyssey Online, and other publications. John has authored the books Recent Words: A Collection of Poems and Stories and I Hear Your Favorite. He has also penned essays on culture, politics and more than a dozen albums of original alternative music. He is plotting careers in entertainment and publishing as he continues producing works of fiction and non-fiction across a variety of media.